Getting Prepared For Winter!

j0nny2013

Reaction score
Realised that the faint scratches all over my windscreen was from my old ice scraper which has ruined my windows a tad

With my new S3 Saloon coming in December time I don't want to make the same mistake twice!

Haven't seen anything on the forum so thought I'd post new thread.

What do you use to scrape Ice / snow off the car or windows? or what method do you use?

Interesting to see what people come back with......

Luke warm water for me, can't be done with cold hands in the morning

Reactions: BaileyA3 and monopole
Luke warm water for me, can't be done with cold hands in the morning

I think this is the safe option! just the freezing back over that can be a pain haha

Reactions: monopole
Never used a scraper in my life! Luke warm water here.

Reactions: monopole and j0nny2013
I use one of those de-icer sprays which I just spray on the windscreen, melts the ice pretty quickly. Not used a scraper on it.

For snow, I have a soft brush which I keep in the boot to sort that out. Cannot stand it when people leave massive shelves of snow on their roof (or sticking to any other part of their car in fact) - it's dangerous! I think people started getting fined for it last year.

when you brush the snow off the roof does it not leave any scratches on the paintwork?

For windscreen I use the rubber part of the ice scraper - never the hard plastic. When the rubber becomes hard, buy a new scraper as they a only about a quid.

Also usually give a quick tap on the wiper stalk before ending last journey of the day, for a single wipe as this means you are only scraping ice off windscreen in the morning, and not grit that is frozen into the ice.....

John.

when you brush the snow off the roof does it not leave any scratches on the paintwork?
No, the brush is very soft. It is a brush designed for this purpose, not just any old brush.

In the winter I often leave my windscreen wipers up overnight (in the service position) and lift them off the windsceen to avoid damaging the rubber by having them freeze to the windscreen and try and move them in the morning. You have to be sure they aren't going to get damaged in some other way though I guess!

Reactions: j0nny2013
true, I'm going to put car in garage overnight luckily but its when I leave it at work and its full of Ice that is the usual problem for me.

I have had to wait until my screen clears before I drive off because I refuse to use a scraper or hot water, although it's not to long as I park very close to our house. It's quite annoying though as my partner's Ford has a quickclear screen so she drives off after a very short time whilst I sit there. As the Golf has a heated screen I would have liked that to be an option with the A3...

Totally agree with you here! I carn't believe its not an option or standard on the S3. My Rear windscreen clears in a few minutes, would love the front to do the same!

only one thing that disapoints me a little

You could always put a sealant like GTechniq G1 on the windows, it makes a huge difference.

The kit is £15 for 15ml and once applied most frosts can be wiped or rinsed off with cold water if they even ice up at all.

Here is a link:

Had a few winters with it & recommend it, but would definitely avoid scraping a windscreen unless you have to clear snow in which case I have used a cheaper wash mitt then a water rinse. Also keep your screen wash mix at the correct rate.

Reactions: j0nny2013
thanks for that mate, will look into this. May be a good option!

I use the gtechniq glass kit,

You get g6 g4 g1 and g2 for 30 quid

G1 looks good, be interesting to see what level of snow / ice it can cope with

If you try it, buy the kit, it's better value and has remover in case you have any difficulties.

Kit is as follows:
  • 1 x G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass
  • 1 x FREE G2 Residue Remover
  • 1 x G4 Nano Glass Polish
£15 (ish)

As I said buy the full glass kit from ultimate finish for 30 it has g6 g4 g1 g2 and a microfibre applicator

Looks good... so what's G6 then? And for that matter, G2 and G4? And what happened to Gs 3 and 5, don't they feel left out?

Auxiliary Heater..... Thats all im saying.... It cost a million OEM, but you are sooo happy with it in winter

I've had Duxback rain repellent applied by Halfords, it lasts months and if you have a double-dux all glass is treated. It also turns ice to a sticky sludge which is a sinch to remove rather than trying to chisel if off the glass surface.

Looks good... so what's G6 then? And for that matter, G2 and G4? And what happened to Gs 3 and 5, don't they feel left out?

G6 is glass cleaner
G4 is glass polish
G1 is the smart glass chemical bond
G2 is the remover

To do the windows you do g6 g4 then g6 then use g1

I've just ordered the GTechniq kit mentioned above, it does look good!

Related question... we are currently in Autumn which means all sorts of tiny leaves are being dumped on my car, some of them get down in between the side windows and the trim parts on the bottom of the windows... what's the best way to get them out and clean it up?

Try a small detailing brush (£3 upwards) then any residue left you could use an APC and agitate with the detailing brush then rinse. I have also used AF citrus power for stuff like this with prices between £7-£10.

Thanks - Now I have an account at Ultimate Finish, I might have a browse around at some point and see if I can pick any of these things up!

Always garage my cars so shouldnt be a problem for me luckily. I'm retired (early fortunately) so don't have the worry about my cars freezing when I'm at work

I've tried the gtechniq G1 & TBH I found it a real PIA to apply & expensive too IMHO

I use Angelwax H2GO. Way way cheaper and so easy to apply. Yes it doesn't have the durability of G1 but it's so easy to apply it doesn't matter
http://www.angelwax.co.uk/?wpsc-product=h2go-rain-repellent

Done all the shower cubicles, sons, daughters, wife's & in-laws cars & still have over 2/3 of the bottle left

Last edited:
Done all the shower cubicles, sons, daughters, wife's & in-laws cars & still have over 2/3 of the bottle left

Forgot to mention. That was all the exterior glass on my A4 saloon and all the exterior glass, incl. panny roof, on the wife's MINI JCW. Windscreens only on the other cars

These windscreen sealants are all well and good but over on detailing world so many people have bad juddering problems with them. Kinda cool in the rain as well, water just beads off

Reactions: veeeight
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…