Help with oil from Turbo area

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hope someone can give me some advice on this, I'm seeing a fair bit of oil around the turbo, the car has done 180K miles and this is a build up of those miles, it looks to be from the turbo as I cannot see any other sources it could be from. Also the pipe going to the throttle body have a coating of oil.

I've taken a picture of the blades but cannot see any oil on them

Does this look like the the cold side seals are failing?

Pulled the intercoolers off today and this is what I found

Cannot think of any other way that much oil would get into the intercoolers, I think there is a good 200ml on the ground + the intercoolers and pipe work are all coated.

Looks like this could be normal after 8 years & 180K, will just have to keep an eye on it over the next few months.

On the turbo the plastic piece which you removed in ETKA/ELSA is called pulsation damper (Link:- My thread), the crankcase ventilation hose links to that and IMO creates oil residue.

One forum member who had a 3.0 TDi A6 and went through similar work as me/you has added a oil catch can to reduce oily vapour getting into intake/that area.

Reactions: B5NUT
Thanks, You don't have a link to the catch can, was looking around for something like that

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…