Suspension rattle and hum, everything needs replacing....good advice please

warrenb5

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here and its a fantastic forum, my background is VW early golfs so this is my first B5.

Its a standard 1999 facelift 1.8SE (non turbo)
Just touched 170k, but the engine is really smooth and bodywise its very straight.

Its a nice tidy car which I do want to keep, but the suspension is in a poor state.
1: lots of rattles and squeaks from the front and back of car over uneven surfaces.
2: worn or broken front coil springs as 'nose down stance', bottoms out over bumps, already ruined undertray which is now gone .
3: suspension very soft.

Okay its a big list, but I need help / honest advice so I can save this car.

Looks like I am going to need to replace springs / shocks, all arms and bushes.
Anything else you think I should be replacing at the same time please advise.

Best parts / kits to use and best affordable suppliers for parts, any other advice as I may try and do this myself at home as I am on a budget.

Use meyle or lemforder for suspension parts !!

As for springs and shockers it depends on what you want the wietecs seem a good kit !!

Reactions: warrenb5
Thanks Bradders,
Yes been reading some of the forum and have seen a few people mention the Meyle HD kit, what suppliers stock this kit and is it everything you need (car set) or are there additional parts I would need?
Any steps in the right direction would be really helpful.

Thanks

I fitted a Meyle HD kit and so far its done 65K and it's still going strong. For shocks & springs I went for bilstein shocks and a set of eibach pro springs (not street) as the pro set was near to the standard Audi sports springs, and has given a nice stance to the car. For the rear I replaced the subframe bushes, I also did the engine & gearbox mounts and the car drives like new.

Thanks for all the advice, really useful.
This will really help

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…