2017 S5 vs 2013 RS5

LloydMF

Reaction score
Hi all

Me again, I asked a similar question to this a few weeks ago...

I'm still budgeting around the £30k mark but stretching it upwards to £35k more so now

My question is would you go for a 2013 mk RS5 or a new 2017 S5?

There's nothing as such I need from either, so mpg etc. Isn't a make or break, I'll be using it as a DD. I'd take the RS5 badge over the S all day, I hear the S5 is also less 'noticeable' on the road, not suggesting I want to buy a car for that exact reason but let's be honest hearing an RS5 is always nice! Although the modern features of the S look amazing and the virtual cockpit - I'd love it... Enjoy my tech. Looks almost impossible (read costly...) to retro fit too

So I'm pretty torn, any advice welcome!

Cheers

For me this one is easy..!

Whilst I love the new interior in the B9, still not a fan of the exterior changes.... The B8.5 is still one of my favourite looking Audi’s and the interior is still very nice....the V8 of the RS5 would more than make up for it anyway...!

Neither. I'd buy a B8.5 S5 and tune it.

Oh yes - I already did that didn't I? :)

I'm admittedly biased but I'd go RS5. The engine note as you soar towards redline is to die for and the S-Tronic transmission makes for a magical combination. It'll cruise all day long peaceably or absolutely hammer b-roads with brutal efficiency. The only real downside is the car is just so competent, you need to be pushing hard with the stability control off to make it come alive. The tail will come out (but not around) if you nail the gas coming out of a sharp corner. The forward momentum never stops though. Makes me laugh. All. Day. Long. Having come from a V6, I'd not be very willing to go back.

There will be effective tuning options in the not too distant future, including a supercharger kit. Everything else is available, from brake upgrades, to quality suspension, sways, etc...it's the same as the S5. Go with ceramics if you can find one so equipped. The RS5 is rare as hen's teeth where I'm at and I know of only one other in my area. LOTS of S5's.

If you can keep an RS locked away to prevent theft then the answer is easy.
A friend had an RS7 for 6 months. He couldn't get it through his garage door and a thieving xxxxxxd try to nick it .
He now runs an A8 3.0 tdi.
If you go for the S5 you will always kick yourself when you see another RS5.