2013 A6 Avant S line 177 TDi DSG

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been given the above car as a courtesy car whilst my 2009 A4 2.0 TFSi is in with Audi whilst they conduct an oil compression test.

I have done 3000miles in the A6 and I am very suprised that it only manages 33mpg combined!
My A4 manages 42mpg combined!!!! Glad I did my research before buying mine and went with the TFSI.

I realise that the Auto with DSG aint the most economical and the A6 is a heavier car, but thats terrible mpg!

It is not DSG but Multitronic.

The forums are awash with 2.0TDi owners (especially those with the multitronic gearbox) complaining that the fuel consumption is way lower than they were expecting/is quoted by Audi. I have a manual A6 2.0TDi Avant and the consumption is on a par with the manual 2.0 TDie Avant I had before. What I have noticed is how the consumption takes a dive when accelerating and this may be part of the issue with the multitronic box tended to use a lower ratio more frequently as the user accelerates rather than relying on the torque and assaying in a higher gear as is often the case when using the manual gearbox.

I've had my A6 2.0 TDI 177 Multitronic Black Edition for a month now and only managed 36mpg over the last full tank. Having said that, I've been in and out of Edinburgh umpteen times, and my wife uses it to ferry kids to and from school/ nursery/ ballet etc etc, and she works less than 2 miles away but uses the car to get there and back because she needs to drop off the kids at the childminder.

However, the last couple of days I've been to Bathgate and back, which is a 40 mile round trip (with about a 60/40 extra urban/urban split, and managed 47mpg both ways.

The real test will be out on the open road, which in the next few weeks will be a 2000 mile round trip to France.

If I get 45mpg+ I'll be happy, even if it's a good bit away from the 53mpg in the book. And since I only got, at best, 37mpg out of my old A6 C5 1.9 Multitronic (which was supposed to get 47 combined), then I imagine that's about right.

Cheers,
A.

I have a manual 2.0 tdi saloon and I average around 46 on short journeys and 55 on long ones. I get better mpg on the A6 than my old A4 B8 2.0tdi

I've found this with bigger modern cars; my A6 is terrible in London where my average speed is 7mph and the MPG is under 20. The latest version 6 series bimmer i had previously was same until it was on open motorway and then it was hard to believe how economic it was. I'm doing a scotland trip soon so will gauge the cost then.