2013 A3 Faults - Advice

JayWard1986

Reaction score
Hi a friend of mine has a new A3 2013 diesel. It has developed a few faults I wondered if anyone could shed any light on or advice.
First off it constantly has bulb warning lights on the dash, all exterior bulbs are fine, the only thing I can notice is that the console lights wont turn on or off.
Next the key fob has stopped working to unlock and lock the doors, it starts the car fine, but it wont lock or unlock. The central locking works using the button on the inside.
Another thing is that all the lights inside have dimmed a lot compared to before.
It has been plugged into a Delphi diagnostic machine and has various faults:

B12E815 - Front left parking light - short circuit or open circuit - Permanent
B12E915 - Front right parking light - short circuit or open circuit - Permanent
B12DB29 - Locking unit for central locking, rear left, implausible signal - Permanent
B12DB01 - Locking unit for central locking, rear left, electrical failure - Permanent
B12DC29 - Locking unit for central locking, rear right, implausible signal - Permanent
B12DC01 - Locking unit for central locking, rear right, electrical failure - Permanent
B126301 - Fuel filler cap unlocking control, electrical failure - Intermittent
U110100 - Component protection active - Permanent
U112300 - CAN communication; fault/defect - Intermittent

Can anyone shed any light on if there is any common issues or where to start looking would be appreciated.

Possibly the central convenience unit behind the glovebox, there are 3 connectors that attach, I would check and re-attach them first.

You will have to remove the glovebox to do this though so if not competent take it to a garage.

Hopefully DJAlex will be along and may be able to offer a more accurate response based on his extensive knowledge

Attachments

• A97-11838.png
    A97-11838.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 12,025
Reactions: DJAlix
Thanks for the reply. As said a lot of it is strange as the key fob wont work for the central locking but the button inside the car works and they activate on the Delphi so the locks clearly work. Then just the interior light that doesn't work and other lights are dim. I will check the unit though and see how I get on. Thanks again

Possibly the central convenience unit behind the glovebox, there are 3 connectors that attach, I would check and re-attach them first.

You will have to remove the glovebox to do this though so if not competent take it to a garage.

Hopefully DJAlex will be along and may be able to offer a more accurate response based on his extensive knowledge
Thats were I would start looking as all the lighting cables eventually end up connected to this module. These two DTC's are interesting:
  • U110100 - Component protection active - Permanent
  • U112300 - CAN communication; fault/defect - Intermittent
Has any works / retrofits taken place?

Reactions: airbus319
No hasn't had anything fitted that it didn't leave the factory with. The faults just started one day. He first noticed with the bulb warning light that's constantly on then the key fob not locking/unlocking.

Had the glovebox out today and checked all connections to the unit as advised, unplugged everything and plugged back in etc and still the same. No difference and same fault codes come up. Could the unit need replacing or are there other directions to go in first?

It could be a faulty unit, the only other thing I'd check is all the earthing points to make sure they are tight. The component protection error is troubling me though.