2002 S3 8L Battery drain

Mr Fixit

Reaction score
Battery is going flat and the start cranking seems quick slow. just been fiddling with the stereo so don't know if this is the issue.

Replaced the battery on Monday and its dead already;-Any ideas

Ta

My battery kept going flat and it turned out to be the brake pedal switch that was the issue, kept turning the brake likes on randomly.

No aftermarket stereo, its the OEM one but I removed the CD changer and replaced it with a box that mimics the changer and gives me a 3.5 mm jack for an mp3 player. Tonight tested the car with a meter in series and then pulled very fuse with no change, weirdly the draw seemed to be creeping up the longer the meter was connected. It was clamped onto the terminals on the -ve side. bit suspicious of the meter atm as its and old one! Did hear a few clicks etc when pulling out the heater/AC fuse though

I had similar (still have the problem 4 year on because I don't know how to fix it and too cheap to pay a proper installer) problems. I worked out that the aftermarket unit I installed was a constant drain on the battery even when the unit and engine was off.

Worked it out by putting a voltmeter across the battery and noting the reading. Then I took the fuse out which related to the stereo and read the voltage again. It was higher. Not by much, but t was higher therefore the stereo circuit had a constant pull.

I now (if I remember) pull the fuse when I leave the car for more then a few hours (overnight). anything more then 24 hours and I risk coming back to flat battery.

HTH

You must have posted at the same time as me .. which has poo pooed my suggestion. - Keep us posted

Last edited: