2000 s3 noise on start up??

s3 jnm

Reaction score
I have a S3 and on start up there is a noise which sould like a whinning noise it lasts about 20 sec if car is stationary but if driven goes away very quickly. I have been informed this might be a piedrman valve? What is this and how much is it likely to cost me to get sorted??? Thanks :blackrs4:

Hmm, have a high pitched whining sound come from our Skoda VRS. I've heard it could be done to the starter motor bushes and the cold weather. Going to get it checked in a couple of weeks - so will confirm back them. In terms of your piedrman valve haven't got a clue sorry.

Yeah secondary air pump would be the ticket, bottom of engine black plastic thing hidden awaynice little job to swap out, had 2 replaced & when I took the old one apart man it was very smelly of burning & seriously coked up, 1st one was full of water from a split pipe, god knows what happened to the 2nd

They're not exactly cheap either, you could leave it for now if to much dollar as didnt make any difference to my car new or old except no noise for few minutes 1st thing in morning.

The problem will be the secondary air pump blowing air past the seals, there is a thread on ukmk-ivs on how to repair it but basically it involves drilling the old rivets out and replacing them with M4x45mm allen bolts that will clamp the pump together and stop the air leak. You will also need access to Vag-Com as you will have a fault on the engine that shows incorrect airflow detected.

Not neccessarily fella, I had 2 go & they didnt show any faults in vag at all & it wasnt the seals either, if it gets water in down a cracked pipe it has obvious effects, the pipes leading are the crappy plastic ones that can easily crack after a while in weather & time, its only on mostly 1st thing in morning or when you start up during day in coldish weather & of course you dont hear it so much while driving if it kicks in at all, they didnt have them on facelifts, wish I'd got facelift tbh but was a lovely car anyway.

you got it jet plane my neighbours look at me and ask what time take off is only lasts for 20 seconds and only when cold??