2 things, ride height and torque steer

novril

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions. My s line springs were rock hard and a horrible ride so I replaced them with 2wd h&r 35mm springs and the rode is really good. Only problem is the rear seems a big lower than the front, prob 5 to 10mm, I'll attach a pic when I can.

Just wondered if there was anything I can do to even it out. I've read about b5 front mounts? I've got a front arm kit and front shocks to fit in the not too distant future so may be able to do it as one job. Any ideas on this?

Second question is torque steer. The. 2.0t blue finned is a lovely drive but when giving it the beans it seem to be a bit of an animal. Steering feels extremely vague and wanders a lot. Not like a severe pull to one side, more an unpredictable sway of the steering wheel. Has vredistein ultrac sessanta up front. Otherwise drives perfectly.

As above, I have new suspension to be fitted to the front. Not that there seems to be much play in it, no movement in steering joints etc.

Many thanks,

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
There we go!

Sorry for the multiple attempts. Been up for the past 10 nights with a newborn! :)

Nice looking car. You definitely did the right thing changing the springs. The original S-Line springs are dreadful.

Don't know much about the ride height question, but one possible angle to look into on the torque steer is a full 4-wheel alignment check, if you haven't already done so of course.

I will get it fully aligned once I've done all the suspension work, thought I'd check in case there is something that causes it which I'm not planning to replace yet! Or it could just be the bluefin power is too much for a front wheel drive in which case I'd live with it. Like I say it drives perfectly until you put all the power down.

Ride height wise I will be changing the front shocks soon (1 is noisy) so would be a good time to change the spring seats or top mounts if it will fix the problem.

Thanks for the input.

Even thou you slinging around 1.5 tons. The vehicle will still torque steer a bit especially in first with the esp off, sometimes even second gear exiting a corner on boost will causes wheel spin.

My advice would be to do as above get a proper 4 wheel alignment done as well as check tyre pressures then consider a RS4 rear anti roll bar. Now this wont necessarily help to put the power down but will help with cornering and putting the power down as well as give you better turn in.

The steering in our vehicle is designed to be light at low speeds but weights up with speed. This just allows for agility to park etc. Then when travelling at speed keeps the stability of the vehicle.

This isn't torque steer associated with wheel spin, ESP on, 2nd and third gears for to floor even in a straight line the steering sort or tramlines to the left and right, you have to constantly counter it. I drive an early mk4 golf 1.8t with about 230bhp and no esp which spins up a lot and don't have this issue.

It's not like it pulls one way and stays there it just sort of wanders. I was kind of hoping other would say that their cars do the same! If not new Control arms, shockers and wheel alignment might sort it.

It's the family car so doesn't get thrown into corners etc, just a nice bit of power for overtaking and joining motorways etc, so I'm not looking to fit the RS4 arb any time soon.

Cheers, Mark.

Ah right I am with you now. Sorry I misunderstood in that case.

But to confirm your concern mine does exactly the same with the tram lining like you constantly need to put input or correction into the steering. Ye even the wandering factor mine does it. Thou mine is a quattro and is long over due a wheel alignment.

Wont help matters that I have some really crappy tyres on there atm thou its purely was for storage purposes.

Spring cups as in the seat that attaches to the shock? I'll have a look for the details now, thanks for the heads up.

I'll update this once I've replaced everything and see if it makes a difference!