2.5tdi intercooler retrofit

myth

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I noticed my 2.5tdi AFB really struggles with power when the A/C is on, especially when outside is 30+ degrees and it got me thinking. Since the intercooler is sandwiched between the A/C radiator and the coolant radiator, I assume it's because the hot air coming from A/C is actually warming up the air from the turbo.

The 2.7 biturbo engine has 2 intercoolers, one on each side and I was wondering if I can retrofit those (with brackets and different hoses) on my 1998 audi a6 and cancel the big one up front.

Anyone got any ideas where to start this retrofit?

They should fit straight in. I was looking at it ages ago as an option to a front mount and it was a while ago so you’ll have to check the numbers and confirm it for yourself but the near side intercooler on my 1.8t was the same as on the biturbo.

The 2.5tdi has the manifold pressure sensor on the intercooler, so I obviously have to move it. The 2.7 has the sensor in a 3 way intake connecting piece, so my best guess is that I should move the sensor in the intake manifold.

Last edited:
The 1.8t intercooler has the pressure sensor in it and the ait sensor in the intake manifold.

Get the o/s intercooler from a 2.7 and a n/s from a 1.8t.

So, basically I need to search for 078 145 806 for the right hand intercooler (plus bracket 078 145 814 D) and 058 145 805 for the left hand intercooler (plus bracket 4B0 145 813) ?