2.5 V6 TDI QUATTRO ADVISE

chrisjx11

Reaction score
Hi all,
looking to buy my first Quattro and wandering what are the main pitfalls?
Once I've posted three times I'll add the link to the motor I'm looking at......
Cheers
Chris

.......but until then its a 2000 W plate 2.5 V6 tdi quattro in silver

......reg is W846... and the seller says its got FSH and just had £1600 cambelt & tensioner service done - anyone's on here or know of it?

I believe the 2.5tdi lump to be a bit off a money pit in terms of engine reliability, personally if you want a quattro in the B5 you should go for the 1.8T (good performance and tuning capabilities) or look at the 2.8 (mpg not the best but nice a nice N/A V6) or The next step is the 2.7 Bi-Turbo (The S4 is an all rounder goes well sounds well not so great on MPG but can be a pita if not been looked after and could cost a small fortune to maintain/repair if any issues do come to light)

I have a 1.8TQS owned it for 6 years or so now and loved every bit of it, currently going big turbo/stroker so plenty of potential all depends what you want from the car and what your using it for.

Welcome to the forum the tail can make big torque if tuned properly. There is a forum turbo diesel forum will be a good place for advice

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Don't wish to disagree but ca-canny as we say north of the border.

Yes the 1.8T is infinitely tweakable, but a decent 2.5 TDI V6 will run and run. 150bhp on tap, whenever you want it, a pleasure to own and that growl when you plant your right foot is addictive.

I owned a late plate 2001 V6 Quattro Avant Sport to 173k miles. Loved that car. Yes it's not cheap to maintain, but look after it and it won't let you down. Oil changes are key. Do it religiously every 10k miles and use quality Castrol Edge and a genuine or Mann filter. Needs the fuel filter done every 20k miles.

No major concerns. Timing belt, thermostat (genuine and tested) plus water pump every 80k miles. Suspension and brakes are a constant on-going job. If you're handy with spanners, then even better.

No issues with Quattro. Anything over 100k miles I'd be renewing rear diff oil for peace of mind.

Reactions: PAULF
The 2.5 has two major potential issues, the diesel pump failing and the camshaft wearing out.

If your lucky, you'll be fine, if your unlucky, its 1k+ to fix either. Theres no rhyme or reason to the failures either.

Those faults and the fact they're not actually all that economical put me off them when i was looking some years ago.