2.0TDI fwd vs quattro real world MPG

dave_ph

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Having had to sell my much loved C7 3.0BiTDI A6 to make way for a Ford SMAX :frown new: after child number 3 made an appearance, I have a little spare left lying around to buy myself a car to replace the wifes which ends its PCP at the end of March. As shes driving the Smax, this new one will be all mine!

I'm set on a B7 A4 Avant S-Line as still need an estate. I don't have a huge budget so are looking at mileages around 100,000-120,000. My head says get the 140bhp version however heart says get the 170bhp so I don't get too bored! (I'd love the 2.0tfsi but the economy makes it unfeasable)

Having looked on Autotrader, its showing the combined MPG on quattro 170bhp as 9mpg less than a normal FWD version?!?

What are you guys finding on your B7's? I'm sure quattro surely can't cost that much MPG?

Thanks in advance :)

Dave

I don't know the numbers in MPG, but in liters per 100 km I saw a difference of 0.5 litters. Putting numbers in converter it works out as 40 vs 43 mpg difference with Quattro vs FWD. Mind you that that's with B6 1.9 TDi Quattro vs FWD, but there should be a similar difference with 2.0 TDi B7 platform.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am tempted by the 140's just because there are more about and are very reliable, but do have a soft spot for the 170's (and the being able to remap to around 200bhp). I've come from 313bhp so need something to catch my interest!

I used to have a 2.0 TDi 140hp 2wd B7 and would regularly get 450 to 500 mile per tank mostly mway driving.

I now have a Quattro 2.0 TDi 177hp B8 and that does about 400 to 450 per tank.

I know ones a B7 an the other a B8 but thats my only comparision lol

Reactions: Sibmets
Just to compare, My 3.0tdi 230bhp quattro avg 38mpg, mixed driving. Ran up to Scotland all motorway doing 45mpg, 500 miles on a tank.

My 3.0tdi Avant does 31(from receipts). But it never gets to stretch it's legs.
Had a blast down to Ashford on Christmas day and the computer was giving 38 with the CC set on 95!

2.0 tfsi are not as bad as you might think, just depends on how you drive, nothing wrong with diesel but petrol is better, well that's my choice.

Reactions: piglet14
Yeah I’m not the most economical driver lol. My old S3 was averaging 19mpg!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was only doing low mileage I’d consider a petrol again however will be looking at changing my job to contracting next year so will be doing quite a bit of motorway mileage (100mile round commutes etc)

nothing wrong with diesel but petrol is better.[/QUOTE said:
Auto Contraire Blackadder.

It seems to me that petrols are sensitive to how they are driven, Diesels much less so.
And they are just superior engineering.

Reactions: Sibmets
And the 3.0 tdi has more torque than an S4

Just driven from Cardiff to central London and back. Avg 43mpg. Not bad.

To add to my tough choice - its occurred to me, if I sell my bike (BMW R1200GS) I could afford a B8 S4 and have a little left over for a remap!

Now that would be the completely dumb thing to do.....omg so tempted!

I think my wife would knock me back onto original plan pretty quickly if she heard that idea lol. I made the mistake of looking at youtube videos. I should block youtube on my router

On a practical note, the A4 Avant isn't very cavernous, the 405&406 were much better family wagons, but I don't have to worry about that now that my kids are both driving.

Yeah I’m just slightly attached to Audi’s. I’ve had an A4 saloon, 8p2 S3 hatchback, 8p3 S3 sportback and a 3.0biTDI A6 avant.

My tastes exceed my finances!

Not a diesel but as a comparison my FWD TSFI did 35mpg and my quattro TFSI does 30mpg, both on Momentum.

Reactions: Michael Holloway
Not a diesel but as a comparison my FWD TSFI did 35mpg and my quattro TFSI does 30mpg, both on Momentum.

sounds ok chap, similar to my old bus ….right foot is a very controlling factor aswell..haha

Reactions: Michael Holloway
Definitely, I'm very happy with the economy vs the performance, especially the way I drive. :)

I had a A3 quattro before and couldn't get more than 26mpg out of it.

Reactions: Charlie Farley