2.0 tdi won’t start

Deepsea

Reaction score
2006 A4, 2.0 tdi, 100K miles. Driving at 75 mph. Engine stuttered once lost power then died. Coasted to a stop, battery was too low to crank. Towed home, charged battery. Cranks but no fire, won’t start. Oil level ok, water ok. No cross contamination of oil/water. The only code is for #4 glow plug. No unusual engine noise or idiot lights before it died. Timing belt is ok. All fuses are good including the ones by the computer. Looking for suggestions.

It could be the crankshaft sensor, mine went recently at similar milage, however I noticed that whilst driving along I'd have sudden "losses" if power. The car was still running but when I pressed the accelerator no increase in motion, then all of a sudden it would be back to normal. Then one morning a couple of days later, it just wouldn't start, new sensor, an hour later, with a fully charged battery it started.

It could be the crankshaft sensor, mine went recently at similar milage, however I noticed that whilst driving along I'd have sudden "losses" if power. The car was still running but when I pressed the accelerator no increase in motion, then all of a sudden it would be back to normal. Then one morning a couple of days later, it just wouldn't start, new sensor, an hour later, with a fully charged battery it started.
Did it give any code for that sensor?

Did a little more troubleshooting last night. Battery charger indicates a full charge @13.2 volts. Turn on the key and it immediately drops to 11.2. Crank the engine and it drops to 7.5- 8 then comes back to 10.0-10.5. Turn off the key and it comes back to 11.5. Battery is right at 1 year old. I’ll remove it tomorrow for a load test.

Can you bump start the car downhill?

Those battery readings aren't right! Anything below 12V is 75%+ discharged and would struggle to start a car. Your glow plug faults stored in the ECU may well support a battery problem in that they are not getting enough power to operate properly. Driving with an almost dead battery will also give a range of strange running and electrical problems as the ECU struggles to maintain power to essential features. I've had aftermarket batteries totally fail after just 1-year - it's by no means unknown.

Those battery readings aren't right! Anything below 12V is 75%+ discharged and would struggle to start a car. Your glow plug faults stored in the ECU may well support a battery problem in that they are not getting enough power to operate properly. Driving with an almost dead battery will also give a range of strange running and electrical problems as the ECU struggles to maintain power to essential features. I've had aftermarket batteries totally fail after just 1-year - it's by no means unknown.
Didn’t get to pull the battery today but I did check the plugs and #4 is in fact bad.

I have an Audi mechanic telling me if I change one glow plug I must change all four. Never heard of this before. Only the number 4 plug shows a fault. It is in fact bad.

Battery failed the load test. New battery installed, 100% charged. Cranks like it should but still won’t start. Got some new codes. p04F9 (air conditioning), p0214 (cold start injector #2), p0722(output speed sensor) but this is a manual transmission, p161A and p161D ( glow plugs #1 and #4). This car was running just fine, going 75 mph then the engine stopped as if the key was turned off.

Does anyone know how to test the pd’s (injectors)? What voltage is required for them? How to test the pd cable?

BPW, it’s a German spec car. Can’t find anyone locally with VCDS. Probably going to have to buy or rent it.