2.0 Tdi thermostat or flange?

glenandem

Reaction score
just phoned TPS to order a thermostat as mines the caha engine with the thermostat in the plastic housing I believe, the guy gave me a price of £40 but then asked am I sure its that as a lot of people replace the flange, I told him it’s just a plastic housing on the side of the head with a few pipes coming off it and I believe the thermostat is inside that.
Am I right or is this guy confusing me talking about flanges

The cooling system on these is needlessly complicated and depending on spec has different types and number of thermostats, so understandable if they're confused but the computer should sort that at their end.

Is it a manual or auto? and does the plastic housing have 1 hose coming off it or 3?

Either way if you ask for a "coolant regulator" that the main engine stat. If the plastic flange has 3 hoses coming off it you cannot just get a stat and the whole module/flange has to be changed as the thermostat is sealed inside the one piece plastic manifold. £40 sounds about right for this.

If you've done it off the reg and its wrong they have to take it back anyway.

Last edited:
Cheers pal, all sorted it was what I asked for, the guy didn’t have a clue!
Replaced it today and what a pig behind the alternator but the pipe that runs down the side of the head was a pain trying to move back and the oil filter housing in the way!
Done it all and temp sitting back on 90 again

Reactions: tech838