2.0 TDI BKD Engine Problems - Please advise

johal87

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not an a3, but I have the same engine in my golf. 06, 2.0 TDI BKD

Looking for some advise please...

When scanned with vcds - motor flap for inlet manifold not working, and something with the boost pressure regulation.

Since that, driving down the road, the car has lost all power, driving more like a 1.0 with no turbo, and a lot of white smoke, thick white smoke, with a smell of oil. got back home which was literally 15 houses down, parked up, and tried to start it again, turning but not starting.. then nothing.

Tried again after 30 minutes, starts turning, just by chance starts, and the car starts to rev really high, without doing anything, first reactions, I have pulled the key out, and its still revving!

Had a mobile mechanic come down, who loosed up the cat, and took off the maf, which allowed the car to stay running and not rev like mad, but as soon as we tapped the throttle there was a very large puff of white smoke, and since carried on.

Throughout this, the car has been drinking oil.. and there has been a very bad rotten egg smell.

Been advised a piston has gone, I hope this is not the case, could anyone advise further?

Hi guys,

Not an a3, but I have the same engine in my golf. 06, 2.0 TDI BKD

Looking for some advise please...

When scanned with vcds - motor flap for inlet manifold not working, and something with the boost pressure regulation.

Since that, driving down the road, the car has lost all power, driving more like a 1.0 with no turbo, and a lot of white smoke, thick white smoke, with a smell of oil. got back home which was literally 15 houses down, parked up, and tried to start it again, turning but not starting.. then nothing.

Tried again after 30 minutes, starts turning, just by chance starts, and the car starts to rev really high, without doing anything, first reactions, I have pulled the key out, and its still revving!

Had a mobile mechanic come down, who loosed up the cat, and took off the maf, which allowed the car to stay running and not rev like mad, but as soon as we tapped the throttle there was a very large puff of white smoke, and since carried on.

Throughout this, the car has been drinking oil.. and there has been a very bad rotten egg smell.

Been advised a piston has gone, I hope this is not the case, could anyone advise further?

Sounds like you'e got a blown turbo & the car is throwing itself into limp mode to try & stop any further damage. When the oil 'seals' give way on the engine it has 3 effects on the engine;

1) oil leaking into the intake causes a 'runaway' situation where the engine starts to use the oil rather than the diesel to run, this in turn makes the turbo spin faster which then drops more oil into the engine & so on in a cycle. The inlet manifold flap is meant to stop this, but as its broken this is why the engine is revving & continues when the key is turned off.

2) oil leaking into the exhaust burns & produces big white clouds of smoke. Burning oil only produces blue smoke when burnt in the cylinders, & a lot of people dismiss oil leaks as being something else because the smoke isn't 'the right colour'.

3) boost regulation - fault code P0299 occurs when you have a faulty turbo. The ECU shuts the engine down into limp mode giving you limited power.

yeah im going with the turbos gone and spewing oil into the inlet side. and the engines using the oil as fuel to runaway.

your throttle body (v157) fault.... did you also have a "fan activation 1" fault too? check thru the fuses in the board next to the battery is one of them blown?

bob the inlet pipe off, can you move the throttle flap? or is it seized?

its very common for the plastic cogs to **** up and lock it in the open position, this sometimes blows the fuse. this fuse also is one of the supplys for the cooling fans control system.