1st March collection

DohNut

Reaction score
So who’s collecting tomorrow?

Anyone thinking of leaving it a few days due to the weather. Would be a tough call after waiting so long but I think I would probably defer it were I in your position, but then again my cars are treated a bit like garage queens!

The wife is still adamant that she is collecting hers tomorrow.:blink:

Reactions: SRB93
If you're getting Quattro then you must.

Reactions: gforrow
I put too much faith in quattro once and slid straight into a curb. Did about £1500 in suspension/steering damage. Was only doing 10 mph. In the snow I might add.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackb9er
What if someone else loses it and rear ends you? Quattro ain’t gonna help you there.

Do you ever leave the house? Safety Police :D

Reactions: Jsmills
Do you ever leave the house? Safety Police :D
Not much in this weather! Kids schools been closed and trains are few and far between. So can’t make it to the office.

Yep picking mine up tomorrow unless the garage is closed

I'm collecting mine Friday, been waiting since October so no holding me back

All fully sorted for tomorrow at approx 14:00, then gotta drive 150mile home so may be a hotel stay if it’s really bad

Good luck and have fun in your new car, it'll be filthy when you get home though :-(

Reactions: Theonenonly
Good luck one and all!

Good luck to all those collecting tomorrow/Friday. Drive carefully and stay safe.

Reactions: Whytho1001, cuke2u and Theonenonly
If you're getting Quattro then you must.

Sadly Quatto is never going to help with grip. Traction yes but that's not always useful as it seems to lul people into a false sense of security...unles they 're on winters of course

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Sadly Quatto is never going to help with grip. Traction yes but that's not always useful as it seems to lul people into a false sense of security...unles they 're on winters of course
I thought Quattro was invented to help with grip or traction (what’s the difference?)

Traction is influenced by longitudinal forces, when accelerating (where Quattro will optimise available friction). Grip is lateral when cornering. Quattro only starts helping when back on the throttle (If the overall adhesion is not already used up for lateral grip, from the moment you start unwinding lock).

Reactions: DohNut
I thought Quattro was invented to help with grip or traction (what’s the difference?)

Quattro certainly helps getting you going but unless you've got winter tyres, or have perfected the Scandinavian Flick, it's no better at stopping or turning than 2wd. Still better to have it though.

Reactions: Nickfrog
Yes Steve it can be useful particularly compared to front wheel drive but it also brings quite a few downsides, more money, more weight, corruption of front wheels compared to RWD, lower mpg, more maintenance. It also means that the engine is always going to be ahead or over the front axle compared to RWD/front engine.

I was booked in, but I’ve been called away for work. In a way I’m pleased as the weather isn’t great where I am, hopefully when I return the snow would have melted :thumbs up:

Yes Steve it can be useful particularly compared to front wheel drive but it also brings quite a few downsides, more money, more weight, corruption of front wheels compared to RWD, lower mpg, more maintenance. It also means that the engine is always going to be ahead or over the front axle compared to RWD/front engine.

There's pros and cons right enough but I had a long drive across the Beast from the East's red zone today and I lost count of how many sideways beamers and mercs I passed. The quattro was solid, well worth any extra expense IMO, winter tyres no doubt helped. RWD with proper tyres and LSD can be pretty good as well but the Sports diff counters the weight at the front when you want a bit of fun:icon thumright:

Reactions: Nickfrog
Yes it sounds like a great combo in this weather !! Winters and 4wd = belt and braces!

Can't believe it's been a year since I picked up mine, hope all goes well for those collecting tomorrow!

IMG 1876 IMG 1877 IMG 1878

Reactions: Whytho1001
Not much in this weather! Kids schools been closed and trains are few and far between. So can’t make it to the office.

Do you have Quattro on your vehicle?

Be careful what you are saying...;-)
Yes it sounds like a great combo in this weather !! Winters and 4wd = belt and braces!
Or two wheel drive and winter tyres, which are better than summer tyres and quattro..

Be careful what you are saying...;-)

Or two wheel drive and winter tyres, which are better than summer tyres and quattro..

I fully respect what he's saying in regards to a vehicle losing road grip due to a lack of traction, and that a change of tyres or addition of chains, spikes will be the factor of increasing the co-efficiency of friction (Road Grip)

I was only trying to add some fun into the thread as we can have bragging rights about Quattro and let new owners be excited that they may have the system on their car. But when the Engineering Police come along it just takes the fun out of it, just feels like I'm at work in a meeting arguing about the same ****** things.

I put too much faith in quattro once and slid straight into a curb. Did about £1500 in suspension/steering damage. Was only doing 10 mph. In the snow I might add.

Exact same thing happened to me in December only I did close to £8,000 in suspension/steering damage. Quattro doesn't work in snow. Personally id pick it up today it'll be a good opportunity to get a feel for the car in these conditions,. For those picking up today/this week just take your time and im sure everything will be fine. If your car has the S tronic, use the manual paddles and gear up as early as possible or drive in "efficiency mode" as the gearbox left to its own devices likes to hold onto 1st/2nd especially when the engine is cold

Last edited:
I fully respect what he's saying in regards to a vehicle losing road grip due to a lack of traction, and that a change of tyres or addition of chains, spikes will be the factor of increasing the co-efficiency of friction (Road Grip)

I was only trying to add some fun into the thread as we can have bragging rights about Quattro and let new owners be excited that they may have the system on their car. But when the Engineering Police come along it just takes the fun out of it, just feels like I'm at work in a meeting arguing about the same ****** things.
I wasn't having go at anyone, it was just a light hearted comment referring to when I once said that quattro has no more grip than a two wheel drive..

Do you have Quattro on your vehicle?

No I really don't get on with 4wd on road cars, I prefer to save weight and get more tractive predictability, however slow that makes me. But then again I track my cars or fit winters. Or both. I have no issues with anyone preferring Quattro for traction it doesn't take much engineering knowledge (actually none at all) to appreciate that 4wd doesn't add any lat grip and is therefore of very little value in the snow. Some even say that you're actually better off not being able to move as it's changing direction and stopping that is more important.

Thought this was a collection thread? Not a Quattro argument thread...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I just don't understand why people use a capital Q in quattro:readit:

Delivery of an S4 (with quattro, as its no longer the name of a sub division of Audi ) due on the 9th, fingers crossed no knock on delays from the snow last week.