1998 A6 v6 2.5Tdi Timing problem....

Neutech

Reaction score
need to find the correct timing for 1998 V6 2.5 Tdi engine

someone has been messing about with inject pump belt etc and theres 3 marks it a bleedin mess to say least

How do i find the Timing marks on Crank ?

Cheers in Advance

You need to get the engine to TDC. This is found by looking into the engine through the oil filler and you will see HT cast into the cam. This should be just starting to go down to the right, you then need to insert the crank locking pin. If the pin will not go in you may need to rotate the engine one turn.

This process is easier with the front lock carrier, rads and engine covers removed
You need to lock the crank @ tdc with the correct pin. The hole is located behind a plastic blank on the block to the rear of the aircon pump,
You then need to remove the vacume pump on the rear of the r/h head to reveal a keyway, you will need to slacken off the cam pulley to insert the correct flat tool. On the right head you need to remove a plastic blank, this will reveal the same keyway. Using the two key way tools with the pulleys loose, align the cams. You then need a pin for the tdi pump, once the cams/crank is timed the pin may slide in if not you will need to slacken the three bolts securing the pump belt and adjust. You should once correct, tighten the cams remove the pins, rotate the engine for two/three rotations re-check the timing and repeat if out. You should check the pump timing on vag-com via the TDi graph for the optimum.
I have the correct tools for sale here.

Last edited:
Thanks for info got it sorted

My local mechanic has all the gear and i was doing some work for him so we traded labour

Cheers anyways

Good think you have a local mechanic near your neighborhood. At least you have someone to guide you while fixing your engine. Just to add up, you should check your engine regularly. Check the valves if they are working properly. If there are damages, you need a Valve Spring Cup Cutter to remove the damaged valves. Just buy high quality replacement valves for your convenience to have better engine performance.