USB Connection

smk82

Reaction score
I'm currently loking over the options for the new A3 SB (going for a test drive at the weekend), as it looks like a strong contender for the next car.. One question springs to mind after reading a few threads on here regarding the audi phone box not being worth the money is regards the USB socket. As I understand it there is one USB socket in the armrest cubby hole, which (as supplied) comes with a cable which you can connect your Ipod to for supplying music , and if you have a phone in the car it will connect via bluetooth (and you'll have contacts etc displayed on the MMI display? However you can only connect either the phone/ipod singly (as there is only 1 socket) if you wish to charge them?Would it be possible to fit a two socket splitter (I've seen Y cable adapters - so you'd convert the single socket to a twin using an adapter/cable). This in theory would allow you to connect/charge your ipod and phone from one socket (without having the cable's everywhere using the 12V socket!). Question is would this confuse the electronics? Oh does anyone have any pic or ordered a new A3 in shiraz red? (the front running colour at the moment..)

If you don't have Phone Box the socket under the armrest is the Audi Music Interface for which several adapter leads are available - for iPOD, USB, 3.5mm Jack, Video etc. You can use that socket to connect or charge other equipment . This is essentially a port to the car's 'entertainment' computer so how you would get on with a splitter I wouldn't like to say. When I use it for charging the device asks me whether I want to connect to the computer to which I say 'no' as its not an audio device.
With Phone Box you also get a USB socket.
There is also a 12v socket under the dash plus, if you have the Luggage Pack, one in the rear of the centre console (which is very convenient for the box under the armrest and more general purpose), and one in the boot. You can then use something like the very neat Belkin mini USB charger.

Last edited:
Thanks for that - Does this meant that- if you have the phone box you have the USB connection and the AMI connection under the armrest? - if you don't have the phone box the AMI moves to the glovebox?

Sorry, I misled you -(confusion with my A1) - the AMI socket is always under the centre armrest. If you have Phone Box then that adds a USB socket, also under the centre armrest.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…