Weird noise on start up from cold!

ruddylove17

Reaction score
Alright could do with some advice on my b6 2.0 petrol, when usually starting from cold the car makes a weird raspy sound for about 3-4 seconds on start up. Does anyone know what this could be? I've give the car a full service ie spark plugs, oil, filter, fuel filter etc. just curious what I could be. Any advice would be appreciated thanks

No it's not a grinding almost seems like the oil isn't at top of engine and then seconds later it goes.

I have the exact same thing on my 1.8T, only developed itself in the last few months, its like a weird super fast clicking for a couple of seconds then its gone

Sounds like the hydraulic tappets just taking a second or two to fill with oil.

as above.....get this on the wifes Mk5 Golf FSI. Regular oil changes help it a lot and find it comes back with the oil getting older as it gets thicker and does not flow as nice as when the oil is fresh.

I aim for 6 monthly changes

Yeah thanks, that sounds like it could be the issue, it's definately inside engine, I say I've given it an oil change and didn't make no difference. Would it be harmful to engine if left as is is? And would the change of the hydraulic tappets be expensive!

Could be early sign of the oil pick up strainer being clogged. Very common problem on VAG 1.8T's.

Could be early sign of the oil pick up strainer being clogged. Very common problem on VAG 1.8T's.

you are the dispenser of bad news aren't you. Almost every post i read of yours is "your engine is doomed!"

Lol, only banter.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…