Interior lights staying on!!

jselfe

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please PLEASE help!! This is my current problem which my local garage is having problems with :-

1.) Open car door - Interior lights come on.

2.) Start the car (turn the ignition) - Interior lights come on + radio.

3.) Turn off the car (key out of the ignition) - Interior lights come on and radio stays on.

4.) Now have to physically turn off radio.

5.) Lock the car (from outside) - Interior lights go out as normal.

Now the obvious problems are at stages 3 & 5, my local garage thought it was the ignition sensor but that wasn't the case. Any help or suggestions would most definitely help me/my local garage.

Many thanks,
James.

Dunno about the lights but I notice my radio (concert with Bose) will operate without the key in the ignition if I turn it on just after removing the key. Perhaps this is a feature? Certainly the interior lights always come on when you unlock the car and when you take the key out the ignition but they do go off again after a shortish delay.

I'm not sure if the radio came on without the keys in the ignition but this a real problem, especially in the evening!! Once the car is started I have to open & close the car door to make the interior lights go out (or I simply have to wait for them to go out).

Regards,
James.

All Audi radios can be used for an hour without the keys in the ignition.
Jamesy, why don't you just turn the lights off manually?

Hi AndyMac,

I can't turn the interior lights off manually, it seems like a surge of power is sent to the interior light when the car is started, but after 10 seconds or so the lights fad out.

Hope this makes sense.

James.

If it's just 10secs I'm not sure I'd bother trying to fix it - just sounds like you'll spend a small fortune getting someone to diagnose the fault.

I don't understand, flicking the light switch to off, kills the power to the interior light, doesn't matter what surge of power is sent to them, it can't bypass a switch

Its quite simple, when I start the car I expect the interior lights to turn off, when I turn off the car I expect the radio to turn off. More than anything this is annoying, but many thanks for your help/advice so far.

Regards,
James.

Dear All,

It appears I have mis quoted, when I take the keys out of the ignition the interior lights do NOT come on but yet the radio stays on.

My local garage is still looking into this to try and save me serious cash from those audi dealers!

Again any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
James.

But when I take the keys out of the ignition the radio should a) turn off and b) the interior lights should come on, neither of the 2 is happening at the moment, very frustrating problem which seems the end result may be a dealer!!

Again any other suggestions would be much helpful!!

Kind regards,
James.

could it be dirt or wear in the ignition switch so that when you remove the key it isnt making contact?

Khufu,

Great point which my local garage have already tried, they actually replaced the ignition switch but still no joy! Is there another sensor/switch which might be affecting this??

Many thanks again,
James.

Sounds like the dreaded CAN-BUS problem. The radio can be manually turned on without the keys in the ignition and this "feature" is controlled by the CAN-BUS. Later models used the CAN-BUS also to tell the radio when the ignition is on, rather than using the traditional ignition on feed to the head unit. If the radio always has to be turned off manually it has either been retrofitted from an older vehicle or the CAN-BUS (digital data bus) is playing up. With the problem also effecting the interior lights I would imagine it is the CAN-BUS itself although the 2 problems might be completely separate as I don't know if the interior lights are controlled by the CAN-BUS, but would imagine they are.
If you pull the head unit you will be able to tell if it is a CAN-BUS model by the wiring & the diagram on the top.
Is this a new problem or has the car always done this?

Many thanks for your help, this is a new problem. What sort price might this be to fix/replace?

Regards,
James.