Facelift 1000 Miles, Discs Rusting Already.. ARGH!

AudiNutta

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Has anybody had signs of corrosion on your brake discs yet? I have just ticked over 1000 miles, car has been washed 6 times and driven in drizzle 3 times.

I have it on all 4 corners, not very happy. Audi aren't too happy to see me at the moment because I complained about a dip in my seat (apparently normal wear and tear on a brand new car) and I have rattles galore inside (which I have to let develop).

I can't bring myself to complain about the discs too.

I have POR15 Clear in the house ready to apply, but I really hoped it would have lasted a lot longer than this. Plus now, I am going to see corrosion under the clear coating :'(

Regards,

Matthew

Reactions: Kalashnikov, Rob2k68 and Simon L
Hi Guys,

Has anybody had signs of corrosion on your brake discs yet? I have just ticked over 1000 miles, car has been washed 6 times and driven in drizzle 3 times.

I have it on all 4 corners, not very happy. Audi aren't too happy to see me at the moment because I complained about a dip in my seat (apparently normal wear and tear on a brand new car) and I have rattles galore inside (which I have to let develop).

I have POR15 Clear in the house ready to apply, but I really hoped it would have lasted a lot longer than this. Plus now, I am going to see corrosion under the clear coating :'(

Regards,

Matthew
Matthew it's a Audi thing happens to them all, wheel hubs etc....best get the paint brush out and a fine wire brush

Reactions: TDI-line, pburv, Rob2k68 and 2 others
Hi Guys,

Regards,

Matthew

We've all got it mate .........man up!! lol

Seriously though it is ****** annoying......about the only thing on my ancient PFL that isn't mint :(

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Matthew it's a Audi thing happens to them all, wheel hubs etc....best get the paint brush out and a fine wire brush

It's a bit shoddy, I know I've read about it quite a lot on here. I'm trying to retain the finish of the discs, so POR15 it is.

My question is based on people having had discs replaced due to corrosion.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and Simon L

Seriously though it is ****** annoying......about the only thing on my ancient PFL that isn't mint :(

Aye it just proves..... even ornaments rust....lol

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68, azibux1 and 2 others

It's awful, for someone so obsessed with keeping the car perfect :(

It is annoying, I were forced to paint the disc bells on my old car silver.. which went well. After 1 spirited drive, I ****** the paint and it bubbled and went orange, no way out :sweat::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68, Audi Bairn and 2 others
It's a bit shoddy, I know I've read about it quite a lot on here. I'm trying to retain the finish of the discs, so POR15 it is.

My question is based on people having had discs replaced due to corrosion.
Not heard anyone getting the rear disc plates replaced mate..... and doubt anyone will

Reactions: Simon L, pburv and Rob2k68
Bunch of pussies

I live about 500m from the Pacific Ocean - you don't know rust.

Drive harder, brake harder - best way to burn that rust off.

Toughen up.

Reactions: RSS-S3, SpeedyFrog, pburv and 4 others
Not heard anyone getting the rear disc plates replaced mate..... and doubt anyone will

Hm, I'm sure I saw something on here a while back.. maybe I were dreaming :shrug:

Reactions: Simon L, pburv, Rob2k68 and 1 other person

Matthew

Apply the POR15 now, Matthew:
• Use a medium grade 3M synthetic steel wool (Homebase) pad and scuff the paintwork sufficiently to provide a good 'key' for the POR-15
• De-dust
• Lightly coat the surface with POR-15 to colour of choice
DO NOT apply heavy coats; 2-light coats are best - one of colour and one clear
ALLOW 2-hours (minimum) per coat for drying.

See - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/afternoon-with-the-mad-professor.190476/
:yahoo:

Reactions: Scottyg, Simon L, Jassyo06 and 2 others
Hi Guys,

Regards,

Matthew

Do you have a photo of the issue? I don't see any rust yet but in my previous Audis the discs were fine yet the hubs rusted pretty quickly. Obviously replacing the discs in this case would be pointless

3000 miles on mine and still silver, no signs of rust, I was quite surprised as the ones on my GTI were all rusted.

Do you use alloy wheel cleaner as some of these can start the corrosion.

Reactions: AudiNutta, pburv and Rob2k68
Brake discs are non-stainless steel - they rust. This will only be on the surface and will clean off quickly once you use your brakes a few times.

I always leave my car in gear without the hand brake (on pretty flat ground) after a wash or if leaving for a long time.

Reactions: DrMal, pburv and davc
Bunch of pussies

I live about 500m from the Pacific Ocean - you don't know rust.

Drive harder, brake harder - best way to burn that rust off.

Toughen up.

Aye rub it in Mick Dundee....

Reactions: pburv, davc, Rob2k68 and 2 others
Brake discs are non-stainless steel - they rust. This will only be on the surface and will clean off quickly once you use your brakes a few times.

I always leave my car in gear without the hand brake (on pretty flat ground) after a wash or if leaving for a long time.
It's the plate behind the discs that's the bone of contention here....?

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Assuming you're in the UK, we've had a relatively dry spell and so I've very surprised at the hubs rusting after just 1,000 miles. I would expect the coating to last at least a year. As far as I know they use the coating on the attached link. I put some new Pagid discs on mine earlier this year (around 2,000 miles ago) and they still look new and I would have guessed that the OE ones would be slightly higher quality. http://www.nofmetalcoatings.com/europe/en/coatings/geomet/geomet-360.xhtml

Reactions: pburv
As someone mentioned earlier, the cause is often use of acidic wheel cleaners. They etch metal and various protective coatings rather quickly.

A range of acids are commonly used - hydrofluoric acid being rather popular but one of the most aggressive. There are also quite a few wheel cleaners around using muriatic acid (local company here sells one). Sulfuric is less common.

Most of these products are removing the adhesives and finer particles left behind by the pads wearing (which often help protect the underlying surface). In every case I've seen, it is a cosmetic issue and nothing more.

I don't use wheel cleaning products, never have. Just my ph balanced car shampoo and a wool brush/MF mitt.

Edit - wheel cleaners (acid based and indeed alkaline/phosphate based) do crazy things to concrete surfaces too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon L, pburv and Flying Scotsman
Assuming you're in the UK, we've had a relatively dry spell and so I've very surprised at the hubs rusting after just 1,000 miles. I would expect the coating to last at least a year. As far as I know they use the coating on the attached link. I put some new Pagid discs on mine earlier this year (around 2,000 miles ago) and they still look new and I would have guessed that the OE ones would be slightly higher quality. http://www.nofmetalcoatings.com/europe/en/coatings/geomet/geomet-360.xhtml

Yeah I know, that's what is surprising. The car is 4 weeks old on Tuesday.

Like I said, it's been out in light drizzle for around 30 miles and the rest has been 6 washes and driving in the dry, very disappointing.

I don't use an acid wheel cleaner either, I use a wheel shampoo gel.

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
Apply the POR15 now, Matthew:
• Use a medium grade 3M synthetic steel wool (Homebase) pad and scuff the paintwork sufficiently to provide a good 'key' for the POR-15
• De-dust
• Lightly coat the surface with POR-15 to colour of choice
DO NOT apply heavy coats; 2-light coats are best - one of colour and one clear
ALLOW 2-hours (minimum) per coat for drying.

See - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/afternoon-with-the-mad-professor.190476/
:yahoo:

I just shot down to Homebase tonight, I am now armed with 2 paint brushes, synthetic wool and POR15 clear. Mad rush to try and find someone up at 10pm to lend me an extra two axel stands too, but I got there in the end ;) This is an emergency now ;)

I don't have any colour to use, I like the OEM colour and I'm hoping that the wool will take off the initial coating off corrosion as it is very much on the surface at the moment. If I end up with a gloss finish to the standard colour, I will be very happy.

Reactions: Peter1201 and pburv
Just went to the garage to check my wheels.

No sign of rust on the discs, hubs or anywhere else. I even removed one wheel to check around the studs.

17,000 km and as I mentioned, we live on the coast so plenty of salt in the air.

Maybe it's a brexit thing ....

Sunny coast   Copy

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottyg, AudiNutta, Simon L and 3 others
Might be worth complaining, they shouldn't be rusting that quickly imo.

done 2400 miles on mine, also washed about 6 times with long drives through the rain, no rust yet :shrug:

Reactions: AudiNutta, Simon L, pburv and 2 others
It's the plate behind the discs that's the bone of contention here....?

That's not what I picked up from the original post.

The backing plates probably just need a bit hammerite if something that nobody will notice is a problem!

As someone mentioned earlier, the cause is often use of acidic wheel cleaners. They etch metal and various protective coatings rather quickly.

A range of acids are commonly used - hydrofluoric acid being rather popular but one of the most aggressive. There are also quite a few wheel cleaners around using muriatic acid (local company here sells one). Sulfuric is less common.

Most of these products are removing the adhesives and finer particles left behind by the pads wearing (which often help protect the underlying surface). In every case I've seen, it is a cosmetic issue and nothing more.

I don't use wheel cleaning products, never have. Just my ph balanced car shampoo and a wool brush/MF mitt.

Edit - wheel cleaners (acid based and indeed alkaline/phosphate based) do crazy things to concrete surfaces too.

I used to use wheel cleaning chemicals and had those issues. I stopped using them and have had no issues with my cars since then. I wash my car once a week with Mequiars Gold Class shampoo, and yes they use salt here on the roads in the winter also, and I live beside the ocean.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and WarwickL
They're made out of iron. Nodular grey cast iron, because it's ****** brilliant for making brakes. However, iron has an affinity for oxygen and readily forms an oxide layer. Get over it and relish the fact that whilst they may show a bit of surface rust they perform their primary function of hauling a tonne and a half (or more) of precious meat and metal to a dead stop from some fairly ludicrous speeds with no fuss whatsoever, repeatedly, for years at a time, with absolutely no maintenance.

Reactions: DrMal, Peter1201, TDI-line and 7 others
They're made out of iron. Nodular grey cast iron, because it's ****** brilliant for making brakes. However, iron has an affinity for oxygen and readily forms an oxide layer. Get over it and relish the fact that whilst they may show a bit of surface rust they perform their primary function of hauling a tonne and a half (or more) of precious meat and metal to a dead stop from some fairly ludicrous speeds with no fuss whatsoever, repeatedly, for years at a time, with absolutely no maintenance.
Must be a nice set of cast iron Brembos on this Leopard....lol
tank.gif

Reactions: Daytonapig, TDI-line, Scottyg and 5 others
Yeah I know, that's what is surprising. The car is 4 weeks old on Tuesday.

Like I said, it's been out in light drizzle for around 30 miles and the rest has been 6 washes and driving in the dry, very disappointing.

I don't use an acid wheel cleaner either, I use a wheel shampoo gel.

I've never used wheel sprays either mate and mine were going after a few months, very low mileage too. Seems there's no escape.

Think a bunch of us need to go pay Audi techs a visit....................lol

7da2e66a0f92eefc3ecb7e43f85d9a3d84c0b30a.jpg

Reactions: Daytonapig, TDI-line, Jassyo06 and 3 others
Painted my originals once with hammerite then the rust started to come through again so bit the bullet and fitted these all round with anodised aluminium hats :-

IMG 1593

Reactions: Daytonapig, TDI-line, Jassyo06 and 2 others
I've never used wheel sprays either mate and mine were going after a few months, very low mileage too. Seems there's no escape.

Think a bunch of us need to go pay Audi techs a visit....................lol
Been discussing with Stafford Audi for about 3-years now Simon and the best I have is that they'll spray-can paint if and when a customer complains. I have had them trial POR15 and they agree that POR15 resolves the problem effectively and without too much effort, however, they cannot justify having the wheels off a car and/or a car-lift occupied for the 3-hours or so that it takes for POR15 to cure.

Like I say, I have tried...

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon L, pburv and AudiNutta
Rob how many coats of Hammerite , brush or spray ?

It was only the one coat but brushed on so pretty thick to be fair - was surprised it only lasted 6 months.

Was in two minds about a brake upgrade at the time but this made my mind up.

Reactions: pburv
Find 1 coat is fine for calipers but not for discs .

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
Aye but you've TOO MUCH MONEY
...lol

Company purchase LoL !!

Glad I did it now as stage 2 on standard brakes is a bit of an ask.

Reactions: pburv, Simon L, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
That's the POR15 on :cold:

One cold, damp day to do it :concern:

I am surprised how nice and easy this product was to apply, once I applied the second coat I thought "that can't be it, such little work to stop the discs from rusting".. fingers crossed it will work as on here! Highly recommend this product, to all!!

Of course one thing led to another, my wheels and under my arches have had a deep clean... I couldn't stop at that, so gave the car a clean too.. :shrug:

Reactions: Peter1201, pburv, 45bvtc and 2 others