£40k for a golf ?

Nope Jo, you're correct, I must have been thinking of the Rocco R mate, sorry for doubting

Frankfurt show: VW Golf R

The covers have just come off the new VW Golf R in Frankfurt. Don't be fooled by its understated looks, this is one monstrously fast hot hatch.

It's the fastest Golf ever, in fact, powered by the same 266bhp 2.0-litre turbo engine found in the Audi S3. It'll propel the four-wheel-drive Golf to 62mph in 5.5 seconds if you spec the DSG transmission, or 0.2 seconds slower if you'd prefer a manual ’box.

That's more powerful and quicker than both the front-wheel-drive Scirocco R and indeed the old Golf R32, which had a bigger, heavier 3.2-litre V6. Emissions and economy are both hugely improved on the old R32, consumption falling from 26.4mpg to 33.2mpg, with CO2 emissions down to 199g/km from 225g/km.

Though visual, er, enhancements over the Golf GTI remain subtle - new front and rear bumpers, LED running lights and central exhausts being the most obvious - the suspension has been lowered by 25mm while the ESP has been revised with two additional track settings.

Because of the four-wheel-drive hardware, the Golf R weighs in around 80kg heavier than the GTI, though 35kg lighter than the R32.
Don't expect to see many on the road: VW says it expects to sell just 500 or so Golf Rs per year, with prices starting at around £28,500.

That's a few grand more expensive than the slightly more powerful but similarly quick

If I may stepin here & knowing nate, I think its cause he prefers the interior to the Golfs overall, the current incarnation of A3 chassis do have better interiors, but saying this, the mk6 (aka mk5.5) & scirocco share & I was pleasantly surprised in a scirocco some weeks ago, it wasnt as bad as I thought when I was in a mk6 months back, strange tbh, but the A3 range are better IMHO, but each to there own.
Some thought the Mk5 Golf was poor...personally, the bits that mattered didn't worry me and I liked the interior.
The A3 was undoubtedly more showy though...

Scirocco is Eos based...so only revised Mk5.

Mk6 is all new...and compared to my mates A3, a step up again. In my view anyway...but it should be, the A3 is getting old now compared to the Mk6 interior.
The game moves on...

I have to agree, the R32 was very very lacklustre when I test drove for a new car, the gti was much better/engaging & yes I know Ess why did I go for a 2.0 tdi, well I had the S3 for 7 years & the S4 for 2 & many other fair cars before, I just got fedup with pouring dough into shell etc's pockets, now I still do this but at a slower rate.

I never liked the R32s at all...never as quick as they should have been. and that engine - although sounding great - killed the handling stone dead.
sure, the owners will tell you that you adapt, and can drive round it. You shouldn't have to...just build the blo*dy thing to handle properly in the fiest place.

No need to apologise or explain to me the TDI...I've been there, and know what's what...

You would have a 4wd,thats a 1st I've ever read from you iirc, I'm sure I always read you saying you much prefer fwd given its more adventurous drive, challenge, so wouldnt fall asleep at the wheel, hence non S3 lover, lol

This is a fallacy,...
My 911 was a C4S...4WD.
And I loved my S3...it was unstoppable. Not from the factory, granted...but once sorted it was brutally quick point to point...just dull as dishwater...regardless of the speed.
I've never said I didn't like my S3...I did. I regret getting rid. But it wasn't exciting. Just efficient.
Some cars - Mk5/Mk6 GTIs included, are fun at modest - not jail-worthy - speeds.

Ideally, a Golf R would be as good as a Mk6 GTI - which incidentally is shockingly good to drive in my view! - but with more power and no wheelspin (so 4WD).
If it is as engaging as a GTI, it'll be a revelation. I just can't see it though.

Give it a month or so and I'll find out.

Right you asked for it, thats the 2nd time in successive days, lmao

http://tizona.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/careys_mankini.jpg

Just wanted to be the first one to say it mate. (cute pic BTW:wub:)

These threads normally end up there, just cutting to the chase as they say:whistle2:

What we must not forget is that AUDI have established themselves as purveyor of premium products, and therefore AUDIs are desirable.

Like fancy watches, Electrical goods, Designer clothes etc...., they are a premium products, so people want them.
Thats why some chose AUDI over the equivelent VW. Or VW over SEAT/SKODA.

We can analyse to death the virtues of each sub brand, residuals v List price, dynamics, styling etc...but at the end of the day its how the overall package makes you `feel`.

That why the general consensus here (remember this is an AUDI enthusiast site) is that the Golf is too much money.
That said, many would say the S3 is expensive too but thats not any great relevation and doesnt really make for interesting threads anyway.

Its why you rarely see threads about how rubbish CTRs interiors are on a CTR enthusiasts site, why focus on the bad bits? Why see the glass as half empty?

Blinkered? Nope.
Biased? You bet.:icon_thumright:

Amen.

Paul

I'm inclined to agree with Ess Three here. Though it looks good on paper, unless they do some serious work with suspension setup and weight loss, its going to end up being a Volkswagen S3. Fast and safe but at the expense of driver involvment.

I don't mind admitting, i can't afford one! Perhaps 5 years ago i could, but i chose an M3. This time i'd choose an RS4...Or another M3!

An M3 over an RS4, you sure, I tested an M3 1 before current & wasnt that impressed tbh mate, but each to there own, got back in my S3 after & it was sublime, lol

An M3 OR an RS4...Given the roads i drive on, probably the RS4 though!

I've driven loads of M3's but only been out once in an RS4 though. Hmm, test drive beckons!