whirring noise at 60mph

JB_A3_Turbo

Reaction score
I think this has just started happening (although with the stereo on most of the time is difficult to tell)
I get a whirring noise at around 60mph? as I decrease speed below 60mph it winds down accordingly. It sounds as if it's coming from the front left of the car to me.

Just seems slightly noisier than normal at 60 road noise rather than egnine noise.

Any ideas?

Have you checked the passenger window is fully closed?! I had a strange sound at 60mph+ a while ago and it was just the sound of rushing air caused by the window being open a tiny amount. Although it was more of a whistling than whirring.

If only all problems were this straightforward!

inner or outer front CV Joints ? mine make a similar noise which is most noticeable at around 50 / 60 mph.. - seeing as i have some new ones I really must fit them !!

Didn't really notice it yesterday or today? Will keep an ear open for it!!

If you take this any further please could you keep the post updated as mine does the same, has done since i got it actually, a year ago! Just never bothered getting it sorted as it hasn't got worse. Happens at about 60 and as you back off the throttle it winds down, as you say. Cheers.

any update on this one ? i have just fitted 2 new drive shafts and still have the same noise....

ok, my tyres are really worn now so im thinking it could be coming from them (toyo T1S) i have a set of pirellis to put on temporarily so will see if that sorts it out - will post the results as soon as...

Have you ruled out a wheel bearing yet? if not try the following

find a nice quiet stretch of dual carriage way, acceelerate until the noise is noticeable and then foot of the gas and on the clutch and coast. then slalom the car as if you are warming the tyres up, you are effectiveley loading and unloading the bearings and they will get louder or quieter as a result.

Therefore turn left & if the noise gets louder an offside bearing will be worn if it gets quieter the nearside.

Jimbo

have tried the 'ol wheel bearing test but does not effect the noise at all. there is a slight (what i thought could be) bearing rubble on mine when i coast from 20mph to 0mph but again that could be the tyres..

anymore info, cuz i have this same thing, at 26mph its a wurrin noise and slight vibration thru passenegr side footwell, anyideas?? I had the wheel bearing done, change tyres around yetstill have problem, i was thinking maybe outter CV joint, cuz i cant see drive shaft going at only 42k??? Any ideas guys??

i hyave this problem on mine, the wobbling is cause by the track rod end on the rack side. Just havent got round to fixing it yet :mad:

i think i hope it is the driveshaft and not the Diff now!!! lol