time to make the jump

amb276s3

bird spotter
Reaction score
Hi guys, i think the time has come(next spring) to exchange the S3 for an S4 saloon, poss avant, just wondered what you guys thought of them? i have tried one a year or so back my only thought was that it didn't seem quite as quick/nippy but a great car and that engine noise and exhaust tone are to die for. i am looking for something no more than 2 years old and would prefer saloon as i already have a merc sprinter and new vw caddy to carry any load, fuel cons no problem as annual mileage about 6500, just would like a bigger more grown up car, dont want to go the M3 way so S4 was the only option.
What do you think?

[ QUOTE ]
just would like a bigger more grown up car

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats why I'd go for the S4 - it's just more mature But still so cool at the same time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Go for it ! But make sure you have a good drive first.

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I went from a chip'ed TT to a stage 3 S4. For a while I didn't believe that it was that much quicker ... until I took some TT owners out in it. They were adamant it was a lot quicker. I then had a meeting on the road with a TT and I left it standing. I began to realise how deceiving the smooth surgeless power delivery of the naturally aspirated 4.2 lump is.

I love it to bits. Not just the noise nor the power but the combination of that plus the luxury levels and easy every day use.

I've used it for day to day driving, European driving holidays, track days, Nurburgring trips, family life shopping etc.

It's great as a compromise of all these things but don't expect Elise handling etc. It has limitations but I only stumble across them on the track.

Expect 18mpg as a rough average and you'll see that fuel is not so much more than your S3 per year.

The biggest cost you'll have is depreciation.

cheers scotty, i must admit, the one i drove was very deceptive seeing 130 on the speedo and thinking crikey i didn't realise etc.. i cant fault the s3, maybe only on long journeys i could do with something a bit bigger, smoother and quieter, i'm sure a trip to amd could improve the body roll of an s4 whilst still retaining what i assume is a very comfortable ride overall.

I was actually surprised how firm the S4 is and I came from a TT with H&R/Koni setup. It disguises the weight well and for normal enjoyable driving is fine. I've decided not to tweak it for track day as I can't justify the cost for not often used benefit.

Make the transition, you won't regret it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

I've had my S4 saloon 10 months now and haven't once thought about my S3. If anything, the other half complains the S4 is too powerful and wants me to get the S3 back as it doesn't make her pass out when foot is flat to the floor on the go pedal.

Easier for friends / kids / passengers in general too; granted the saloon folding seats options doesn't have the flexibility of the hatch but the boot is double the size, practicality is better, image is excellent (saw eight M3's on the way back from London yesterday and no. of S4's = 0) and the noise... well no need to say anything else about that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Plus on motorway trips S4 only does around 50 miles less on a tank than my S3 and the torque is much better. Handling wise ScoTTy is right, but you really have to push the car to feel the limits. Mind you if your intended car has Conti's on it not the best, I'm replacing all 4 with F1 GSD3's at the weekend.

It's the first car that I've had that I really do think I'll keep to beyond MOT age having bought from brand new, the others including the S3 I've got bored with after a maximum of 2 years.

Is it worth changing exhaust,cats etc and remapping, with not being a turbo engine wondered whether or not you could feel the difference and what the drivability was like. Also is a manual car well behaved when town driving. thanks in advance.