The time has come... Camshaft time.

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I noticed an increased tapping noise on the right bank recently. Opened the oil cap and I can clearly see heavy wear on the cam lobe.

So the time has come to get my hands dirty. Need a set of cams and everything to go with it. Nice weekend job for me. Yay!

Cams have lasted 177k

Never good - I remember the sinking feeling well.

You doing it yourself?
I got a kit from ebay which came from Germany, had all the parts - lifters, rockers, new belts & pulleys.

It's a horrible feeling, but it's a good car. Drives nicely. I could sell it, but it's not enough money and I don't have the kind of money spare at the moment to buy something I'd actually like.

Yeah I'll do it my self. Can't be any worse than any other job I've done on a car.

Look for automotorsport on german ebay, they used to sell kolbenshmidt cams with INA rockers and lifters... Contitech cambelts are very good, avoid Dayco at all costs !

Cheers Chris, they don't seem to be selling them now. I sent you a link. Could you check and see if you'd buy it?

Suppose there's no harm in ringing them and seeing if they will give you a little squeeze on the price.

Bear in mind the eBay one will prob. attract a shipping charge too as UK seems to be excluded. I'd ring them (use telediscount) nad have a bit of argy bargy(?)