temp not going over 69C

I

imported_Tariq

Hi does anyone know why my car doesnt seem to go over 69C and always seems to be running cold!

Any help would be appreciated

One more thing i've already replaced the coolant temp sensor with no joy to the problem!

I've got the same problem! I changed the temp sensor, and the 'stat, neither of which have solved the problem. It gets upto 90oC when stationary, but not when moving. I'm going to change the O-ring on the stat, just in case its not sealing.

Rich

I have the same problems as you Rich. Recently had a service but nothing showed on VAG com as being a problem. Let us know if changing the oring works.

Cheers

hey dont mean to sound dumb but where is the o ring located and how do i remove it

(i'm a learning diy mechanic!!)

The O-ring that seals the thermostat - It should have solved the problem when i changed teh stat, but i didnt change the O ring and thats the only thing i can think of.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
I hope that is all it is Rich, how many miles on the engine?

[/ QUOTE ]

just trying to think of other things. Just wondered if the head gasket or something could be causing back pressure and stopping the thermostat from shutting except on idle when the revs are down and less pressure. Its unlikely tho, just a thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Did a compression test the other day - all cylinders were at 152psi (10.4bar) which is pretty ****** good considering that the lower limit is 100psi(7bar). I think the head gasket is in pretty good condition...No oil in water, or water in oil so all looks fine there. Maybe i've just got a dodgy 'stat!? It wont get above 77oC when moving which is annoying!

So, anymore ideas??

Rich

hi Finally sorted the problem out!! Turns out it was a broken connector from the control box to the fan.

This was causing the fan to constantly stay on hence low temp.

All it took was a trip to a breakers yard and £3 for a connector to sort it out (not to mention a good few hours trying bits)

Cheers

Tariq

I don't think my fan is staying on. If i leave the car idling, it will eventually get to 90oC, but not when im moving. Glad yours is sorted though!

Rich

My car has started doing something similar in the last few days. It used to run at an indicated 90°c all the time once warm, but now it's a bit erratic - anything between 70°c and 90°c. It never goes over 90°c.

Rich - did you ever solve this? I don't think my fan is staying on.

Nah i've still got the same problem. Don't know what i can be other than the thermostat... If im sat in traffic it gets upto 90oC, but sits at about 70oC under normal conditions... I don't get it! I'm thinking of changing the stat again.

Rich

Unless everything is fine and it's the temp sender for the gauge, or the gauge itself.

Hmmm. Any idea if the gauge and the ECU use the same temp sender?

I guess this isn't worth losing huge amounts of sleep over.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet because i have the exact sane problem. Has a skoda garage check the car out and both sides of the temp sender and the water pipes were the same temp so the sender was fine. They said it could be the stat but if people have already changed this then i dont want to replace it.

humm help?

My temp seems to vary as well, although if i check the coolant temp using the climate control trick it always says 90degrees so i think the gauge has a mind of its own!!

Adam I take it that is code 51 not 49 you were checking on the climate... which points to your gauge being knackered as 51 is the adjusted temp (that the dial should show). I'd be amased if your car when displaying code 49 (actual temp) doesn't vary. Mine is normally between 93-96 in normal driving and will go upto around 105 on a very hot day in traffic. It will come straight back down though as the fan does it's thing.

my A3 did the same to just the other nite. normally sticks at 90 but driving real slow bak home sat nite with winscreen demister on and temp dropped to bout 70 deg C, i just thort it was air con blowing freezing air onto heater matrix. and i was going for max MPG. turned air con off and booted it and it went bk to 90. might be the winter drawing in! lol

No ts nothing to do with the temp sensor, weather conditions, air temp sensor, thermostat, or any other frickin thing i can think of...Changed them all! Its really odd. Got my oil temp gauge installed now and thats more important than water temp so i can't be ***** to pursue it at the moment! lol

Rich

Rich - does the oil temp stay constant as the water temp gauge fluctuates? If so that would point to a dodgy water temp gauge wouldn't it?

Mine seems to have gone back to normal for the time being... (famous last words)

god_thats_quick said:
Oh... it's a bit off topic, just curious but where abouts did you fit the oil temp sensor, extra hole in the sump?

In the oil cooler (where the filter screws on to) there is a blanking plug. Unscrew this, screw in the temp sensor that comes with the gauge and job done!

Yes - MUCH more simple than i was expecting thats for sure!!

Rich

Timbo said:
Rich - does the oil temp stay constant as the water temp gauge fluctuates? If so that would point to a dodgy water temp gauge wouldn't it?

Mine seems to have gone back to normal for the time being... (famous last words)

water temperature changes much faster than oil does, and the oil system doesnt have a thermostat. I've also changed my temp sensor and the ECU temp and gauge temp match.

Rich

god_thats_quick said:
Adam I take it that is code 51 not 49 you were checking on the climate... which points to your gauge being knackered as 51 is the adjusted temp (that the dial should show). I'd be amased if your car when displaying code 49 (actual temp) doesn't vary. Mine is normally between 93-96 in normal driving and will go upto around 105 on a very hot day in traffic. It will come straight back down though as the fan does it's thing.

Oh yeah of course, i have lost my list of climate readout codes, will check tonight using 49. Silly me lol

All fixed - Jabba changed the thermostat and the car is running correct temp and heating up in no time now. £105 lighter but the car works now yay.

RichA3Turbo said:
No ts nothing to do with the temp sensor, weather conditions, air temp sensor, thermostat, or any other frickin thing i can think of...Changed them all! Its really odd. Got my oil temp gauge installed now and thats more important than water temp so i can't be ***** to pursue it at the moment! lol

Rich

It's that RS3 front-end Rich. Too efficient. It lets all that cool air into the engine when you're on the move ;)

RichA3Turbo said:
water temperature changes much faster than oil does, and the oil system doesnt have a thermostat. I've also changed my temp sensor and the ECU temp and gauge temp match.

Rich

You might have been so unlucky you got a faulty stat though Rich, because to me this is a clear stat problem when considering all the facts you presented. No intention of lecturing or anything, but please promise me to always change gaskets, o-rings, and sealer washers when installing new parts ( especially at hard to reach areas ) - I've scratched my head a few times too many before, leaving crucial components like seals up for lady luck to determine it's condition.

I learnt my lesson a long time ago, and I hope it's just the o-ring and not a faulty stat you have. Best of luck, buddy. :thumbsup:

Yeah the stat is the only thing i can think of. I changed the stat and the o-ring. But yeah you are right, It is the only thing that makes and sense to me too...But chen i changed it, the problem stayed in an identical manner.

Rich

ChriS3 said:
It's that RS3 front-end Rich. Too efficient. It lets all that cool air into the engine when you're on the move ;)

Its a good theory! Unfortunately its occured since then! :)

I'm really beyond caring though....The oil is getting to temp just fine so thats all im really worrying about.

Rich

i dont think its the stat!!! imo the stat is only there to circulate water around the engine when its cold to warm it up quicker then when the engine gets up to temp it opens to let the water flow round the rad! if this was blocked shot your engine would boil in like 10 mins and if it was blocked open it would just take longer to get up to operating temperature! i think it is just that the cooling pack is very efficient with the lovely cool weather were having!

RichA3Turbo said:
Yeah the stat is the only thing i can think of. I changed the stat and the o-ring. But yeah you are right, It is the only thing that makes and sense to me too...But chen i changed it, the problem stayed in an identical manner.

Rich

Yeah, sorry. It was a little late and things got to quickly, what I meant is that I hope the new stat isn't faulty so that you'd have to buy a new one again. Anyway as you say the oil temp stays fine so no need for panic.
Vroom vrooooom :blackrs4:

silly question i know, but ive got the same porblem, where is the thermostat?
:uhm:

KEF A3 20V T said:
i dont think its the stat!!! imo the stat is only there to circulate water around the engine when its cold to warm it up quicker then when the engine gets up to temp it opens to let the water flow round the rad! if this was blocked shot your engine would boil in like 10 mins and if it was blocked open it would just take longer to get up to operating temperature! i think it is just that the cooling pack is very efficient with the lovely cool weather were having!

No, it should not happen. The temp should be at 90oC at all times. the 1.8T is very efficient in keeping the correct temp. The stat being open is the primary caude i feel. As you say, it being open all the time passes the water to the radiator for cooling... Mine get to 90oC only when stopped in traffic... It HAS to be the stat. I think i may change it again.

Rich