1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New S3 (8P) Gearknob

s3 Hoggy Dec 23, 2009

1. Gops

Gops Badger 5 Edition VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi S3

Sorry for the late reply mate, I just used super glue! I couldnt find anything else and tbh, i couldnt be bothered to get anything and wanted to fit it asap because im super impatient lol! But it worked a treat! I'll take a pic of mine 2moro when its in 6th so you can see. it stretches but it doesnt restrict any gears

2. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Haha same as me lol.

Yeah cheers mate.

3. JtotheD

JtotheD Active Member

I definitely need one of these having seen the pics in this thread, they look almost too good!

4. S3featesV9

S3featesV9 Active Member

Bringing up an old thread here, are there different part numbers for different colour stitching? In my head I'm saying yes...if so, what's the part number for knob with red stitching?

5. Jimgrim77

Jimgrim77 Member

Here's mine. it's been in for a while now.

Sorry about poor picture.

I didn't use new gaitor as I felt that new leather and baseball stitching doesn't match the plain Black (and worn in) Recaro leathers.

It's a lovely touch though and i far better than the old ones.

[​IMG]

6. S3featesV9

S3featesV9 Active Member

Year looks brilliant. Those mats are awsome too!!

So anyone no the part number? Or how do I go about finding it?

7. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

All I know is that this is the number for white stitching: 8P0 863 278 CC SZN if that helps you work it out???

8. S3featesV9

S3featesV9 Active Member

£95.45 inc vat. jeeeeez!! gave it a miss :(

9. RyanS3TT

RyanS3TT Member

Does this work for Pre Facelifters like myself?

10. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Yes mate.

11. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

It does, but the gaitor doesnt fit properly, is very tight at the front.

12. Hammy999

Hammy999 Member

I changed the gaitors over and used the original one especially as was in good condition, was a quick simple job. Feels and looks so much better.

13. S3 rpm

S3 rpm Member

hi mate,you say you are using your original gaiter?will the one that comes with the knob not fit,or is that just preference?il buy one but will want the one with red stitching if I can be fit?

14. s3 Hoggy

s3 Hoggy Whats going on???

If you have a read through the whole thread you will see that many have fitted the new gaiter, think its a tight fit but is possible

15. chazza55

chazza55 got an S3 8L: living the dream

Yup - when i did mine the NEW 8P plastic base bezel thing is a different shape to the older 8L shape.......so you have to undo the staples holding the gaiter to the base.........then fit the new leather over the old base.....i didnt bother re-stapling or gluing or anything.

so you have old base, new leather, new knob.............and looks schweet!!!!! :D well worth doing!

16. Jimgrim77

Jimgrim77 Member

Great job.

Or...just take the knob off, use old gaitor, sell new gaitor on eBay and bobs your uncle.

17. TA3

TA3 New Member

These S3 Gear Knobs look absolutely brilliant but the question I have is whether they fit the 8L model and whether they are able to be used on the 5 speed variants like the 1.6 and 1.8? (obviously it will still say 6th gear but you just can't select it).

18. chazza55

chazza55 got an S3 8L: living the dream

the 8p definitely fits the 8L.....this thread shows it and i have done it also......NB the difference mentioned on the gaiter though.

the knob should have no effect on 5 or 6 gears........it is literally just a knob.

TA3 likes this.
  19. TA3

TA3 New Member

awesome stuff! Thank you for clearing that up :)

20. Y83OLK

Y83OLK Hulk Smash!

Does anyone have a good condition (unscuffed leather/ chrome ring) standard s3 knob kicking around?.
    I prefer the original to the 8p s3 knob, however mines showin 85ks worth of grabbing now.

21. Gmac

Gmac Active Member

Anyone know if the 8v gear knob will fit the 8l?

22. bigray

bigray Active Member

23. s3 Hoggy

s3 Hoggy Whats going on???

Ha! Well spotted! Bit weird there's pics of my knob floating around the internet...

24. Gops

Gops Badger 5 Edition VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi S3

I've seen a pic of hoggys knob...

25. mitsospal

mitsospal New Member

Hello everyone.Is the 8p DSG gearknob suitable to 8l??

26. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Very much doubt it unless you have an automatic...

<tuffty/>

27. mitsopallis

mitsopallis New Member

Νο my friend.manual..i saw an image and i think that the lower part of the automatic gearknob was similar to manual 8p gearknob

28. Kwolt3

Kwolt3 New Member

Bringing up a (somewhat) old thread here, sorry for that (not to mention that my issue is somewhat a bit off-topic for this thread). To the question:

I bought a used S3 8P with a manual gearbox, and the top disc of the gear knob (where the h-pattern is) is rotated a bit to the right. However, it doesn't seem to be the entire gear knob that's in the wrong position since the S3 logo is exactly where it should be, so only the position of the h-pattern disc has been changed. (See picture below).

So now I wonder:
    1) Why and how would anyone do this? Just because you can and someone might think it's funny?

2) How do I put it so that it's the right way around? Can I just remove it e.g. with a knife, rotate it to point in the right direction, and fit it with some glue? And in this case, does the knife go under the black disc or under the red ring (I didn't really have the balls to try that much, since it seems to be quite fragile).

And moderators, feel free to move this to another thread in case my questions are too off-topic for this one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  29. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Tbh you would be better off asking this in the 8P section dude

<tuffty/>