JVC HU Install and wiring help needed!

stephanbegley

Reaction score
Folks - need a bit of help -

Have bought a JVC Head Unit to wire into my Audi A3 2005 (iso, single din, audi concert ii).

I am getting power and sound from the front speakers, but not the back. The radio reception is non-existent at the minute.

So I purchased a PC9-404 to connect to the rear speakers, but there's an extra blue lead that doesn't connect anywhere.

I also purchased an amplified antenna adaptor - again, there's a blue lead that i don't know where to place.

If anyone can make sense of the picture i have attached and where I'm going wrong then it'd be much appreciated!

Thanks

photo.jpg

S

Both blue flying leads need to be connected to the power antenna or "remote on" from the JVC. This provides the 12v trigger to turn on the rear amp and the aerial amp.

Cheers Andy - there's a blue lead coming out by itself from the jvc iso harness, but its marked "steering" - is this it? I can't see anything else! sorry for being stoopid!

Cheers Andy - there's a blue lead coming out by itself from the jvc iso harness, but its marked "steering" - is this it? I can't see anything else! sorry for being stoopid!

Run a test meter on it to see if it goes live when the head unit is switched on, if it goes live, then that's the one.

The power antenna lead is normally blue and labelled ATT or Attenna.

Both blue flying leads need to be connected to the power antenna or "remote on" from the JVC. This provides the 12v trigger to turn on the rear amp and the aerial amp.

Right, just came across an extra iso lead that came with the PC9404, like a iso lead extender.

Can actually see a blue cable marked "remote antenna".

If I pull this from the correct end of the box, can I simply attach the two flying blue leads to the end of it? Or do I have leave it in place and splice them in?

Cheers Andy and Slappy btw!!

Will get another look at this tomorrow!

No it won't be that. It will be a blue with a white stripe labelled power antenna

No it won't be that. It will be a blue with a white stripe labelled power antenna

Thanks again for bearing with me.

Theres no wire coming out of the HU like that.

Ive taken a photo of the installation manual - sorry its a little crumpled! Its a JVC KD-R821Bt by the way! I'm looking at A5....

photo-1.jpg

It's A5 (Blue with white stripe on it). this is your remote lead/power aerial which is the power antenna lead.

Cheers Slappy! Nearly there! Again, do I have to splice the two leads into that a5 cable or should I just pull it from the box and clip them on?

Also, should I attach them to the end closest to the HU, or the end farthest away, if you understand my meaning?

I was gonna say what part of "power aerial" didn't you understand? LOL
Yes, any of those methods, length is irrelevant. It is just a very low power 12v trigger, nothing more.

The end of that wire should be taped off, remove the tape and connect the other two wires onto it.

Cheers Slappy/AndyMac, am pretty much sorted now.

That blue/white wire was wired in to the JVC power harness, it wasn't free or had no name on it.

I guess I was frightened of tearing up the wiring! I ripped it out of the ISO connector and clipped the other two wires into it.

However, not very impressed with the rear speakers when set against the JVC amp, really really low!

I think I'll have a look in the future as to connecting directly to rear speakers, but for now it'll do...

AM reception and FM reception now perfect. Thanks again for your help and guiding me through this!

Unfortunately your rear speakers are powered by the puny Audi amp but the fronts are fed directly from the aftermarket headunit, hence the difference.

I'm in the same boat, I'm going to run new speaker wires directly into the rear speakers when the weather improves.

Update on this - anyone considering upgrading their mini-iso Audi A3 Concert ii? My wife wants to go back....... Grrr... Please fibnd below my post in classifieds:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Folks -

Have recently swapped cars with the missus after we had a baby.

After advice on this thread I started:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/car-entertainment/144517-jvc-hu-install-wiring-help-needed.html

I purchased a JVC KD-R821BT (includes dual usb, bluetooth, ipod/iphone mode, cd, customisable illumination etc) and the fascia adaptor for single din and a pc9-404 cable to connect it to rear speakers. Remote control and case and mic too.

Problem is, upon having swapped cars, my missus can't handle it - she preferred the audi chorus deck she had in her tt. I had already sold on my concert ii for my a3, but now am looking another one for her.

Anyone considering buying a new aftermarket unit for extra functionality? I would consider a like for like swap - my JVC for your concert ii (preferably with an ipod connection). The JVC is a great unit, and the customisable illumination matches perfectly the red illumination of climate control and interior lighting.

Details on the unit here:

JVC KD-R821BT Bluetooth Handsfree Car Stereo: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Am happy to do this through whatever channels you wish.

Located in Belfast if this helps anyone.

Thanks in advance for help