Facelift (Facelift) Sound settings resetting frequently (B&O)

It's doing my head in.... I'm forever noticing the sound isn't right and having to go back in and set it all up to my liking again.

Seriously, how can this be just allowed to continue? How many S3s are there with B&O, surely enough to warrant fixing it. Anyone I know with the current S3 has the issue and complains bitterly about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, how can this be just allowed to continue? How many S3s are there with B&O, surely enough to warrant fixing it. Anyone I know with the current S3 has the issue and complains bitterly about it!

It's not just an S3 thing. I've an A3 saloon with B&O and the sound settings keep resetting.

Also, I've never noticed the surround setting making a difference between max and min. What effect does the surround setting have when it's working?

It's not just an S3 thing. I've an A3 saloon with B&O and the sound settings keep resetting.

Also, I've never noticed the surround setting making a difference between max and min. What effect does the surround setting have when it's working?

Surround adds a slight reverb effect which is sent to the rear speakers. It's quite subtle if you stay under 2/3rds of the maximum, then suddenly gets very harsh. It makes the sound feel slightly more 'open' instead of mostly coming from the front. However, the surround processing does something weird to the sound which can make things sound harsh. Highs are boosted a lot, and mids sound more distant, which simply doesn't sound good depending on the music.

The effect of surround varies greatly depending on what you're playing. Well-mastered tracks generally don't benefit from it. I have mine on 1/3rd for FM to re-add some clarity to the sound, and completely turned off for everything else to keep the sound as balanced as possible.

I've had this issue since I got my A3. Does my head in as it seems to be with all media inputs and with the sat nav! :rage:

... also in my case at lease it affects the phone connection volume!

Sometimes get in the car and (if the phone connects at all!) when the phone rings it is whisper quiet and I think it's not connected, but it just needs turning back up to my preferred setting - annoying :shrug:

Reactions: The Kendragon
Have any of you had any decent response from Audi or do you feel fobbed off like me? Yep the phone volume happens to us too. Sooooooooooo annoying. Interesting to hear it's in the A3 as well. I suspect a lot of people get in their cars and don't bother setting the sounds to their own liking.

Why is this such a difficult fix?

If it's all A3's and affects phone volume connection I'm personally amazed there aren't more complaints!

After all the majority of people won't touch the treble or bass, but the vast majority will connect a phone almost immediately.

If it's all A3's and affects phone volume connection I'm personally amazed there aren't more complaints!

After all the majority of people won't touch the treble or bass, but the vast majority will connect a phone almost immediately.

Problem is, it's not all cars that have the problem. Personally speaking, all my sound settings stay the same when they're set and I also have the elusive subwoofer control that some others don't.

Reactions: SILVAF0XX
Yeah it affects all volumes - I can tell instantly when it's reset when my CarPlay Siri volume and phone call volume is so low. Oh, and Sat Nav volume

Problem is, it's not all cars that have the problem. Personally speaking, all my sound settings stay the same when they're set and I also have the elusive subwoofer control that some others don't.
Does this mean there is finally a software update to fix this? Mine's due an oil change next month so will ask about any available update.

No idea, I've had the subwoofer control from new - same with not having sound setting issues.

There apparently is an update for resetting volumes which is due "autumn this year" but this will not address the missing sub woofer control.

Everytime I've asked my dealer for a fix they also tell me it's being worked on. It doesn't help it seems to happen at completely random times for me so I can't even replicate it when needed.

Hi all, have a 66 plate A3 with B&O unit and noticed the same thing last evening. Is there any info if the problem has been resolved?

Hi all, have a 66 plate A3 with B&O unit and noticed the same thing last evening. Is there any info if the problem has been resolved?

I've not contacted anybody recently so not sure if the update is available... best to contact your dealer.

The only problem with that is they will want your car(probably for a whole day) just to tell you there is no update!

If it isn't bothering you massively, I would wait until the car actually needs to go in for something like I did. At least that won't be a complete waste of your time.

yes i'll wait for my first service which should be due in a couple of months time. Not really bothered with the problem to say the least

Like @Tom.H I don't have any issues with sound settings resetting and also have the sub controls. Mine is MY2017, so perhaps there is a fix and Audi just haven't released the patch yet?

Like @Tom.H I don't have any issues with sound settings resetting and also have the sub controls. Mine is MY2017, so perhaps there is a fix and Audi just haven't released the patch yet?
Same for me as well, mine is a MY17, picked up February 2017. When I picked up the salesman was surprised that the controls were there though.

Reactions: Mark_86
I've not contacted anybody recently so not sure if the update is available... best to contact your dealer.

The only problem with that is they will want your car(probably for a whole day) just to tell you there is no update!

If it isn't bothering you massively, I would wait until the car actually needs to go in for something like I did. At least that won't be a complete waste of your time.

I was contacted by my dealer to say they had an sd card with a proposed fix they received from Audi Technical. This was the first one which was sent out. If it was a success my dealer was to report back to Audi Technical. My car went in 2 days later at noon and I collected it the following day as they wanted to make sure settings stayed as they were. Thankfully there was no issue getting a courtesy car.

The good news? Sound settings remain at what I set them to.
The not so good news? I am convinced the quality of sound is affected. I always had the subwoofer level set to max. Now I can only have it about 3/4 set as the base is too much and the clarity of sound becomes poor. What I've also noticed is to get the sound how I'm used to the bass and treble are at different levels but I suspect this is related to the subwoofer setting.

Previously the * button on the steering wheel was not preset to anything and when I set this before the software fix it would regularly reset itself. Now the default setting is to change the drive type, ie efficiency, individual etc. Not an issue and I did test it by setting it to a different option and it held.

The phone option also appears OK too.

So talk to your Audi centres and tell them Audi technical have a fix!!!!

I was contacted by my dealer to say they had an sd card with a proposed fix they received from Audi Technical. This was the first one which was sent out. If it was a success my dealer was to report back to Audi Technical. My car went in 2 days later at noon and I collected it the following day as they wanted to make sure settings stayed as they were. Thankfully there was no issue getting a courtesy car.

The not so good news? I am convinced the quality of sound is affected. I always had the subwoofer level set to max. Now I can only have it about 3/4 set as the base is too much and the clarity of sound becomes poor. What I've also noticed is to get the sound how I'm used to the bass and treble are at different levels but I suspect this is related to the subwoofer setting.

Previously the * button on the steering wheel was not preset to anything and when I set this before the software fix it would regularly reset itself. Now the default setting is to change the drive type, ie efficiency, individual etc. Not an issue and I did test it by setting it to a different option and it held.

This is interesting although it sounds like you always had sub woofer control, which means you are on a different software version to those of us with B+O but non tech pack!?

I'm in the US with a 2016 S3 and B&O with MMI high aka tech pack. I have the same issues with the sound settings, but fortunately I know when it's happened because the * button on the steering wheel changes from "next track" which I chose in MMI back to ADS (the default). Anyone in the US had this issue as well? We're lucky over here if the Audi dealer knows how their cars work, never mind fixing stuff. I usually have to show them. Never had this issue with the old 2015 A3 that had MMI low/no nav with B&O.

The subwoofer settings that are now being realised are a good sign. Max levels are not a good thing as it should distort at those levels, especially near max volume setting, as you are driving the amplifier beyond it's capabilities. Truly high end audiophile equipment have no tone controls, as their amps produce quality sound reproduction at all volume levels, that is not the case with any car sound system that I have heard, regardless of cost. Have a look at the innards of a 12V DC car amplifier and compare that with a medium to high end 120/220V AC home amplifier and you will be shocked at the comparison of components. Plus do not believe the amplifier output on car amplifiers, they are limited by a 12v input source, an inability to drive 8 ohm or higher impedance speakers to reasonable volumes and many other factors.
A car is probably the worst environment to try and hear and enjoy quality sound, but most car sound systems are OK, as you are not fully concentrating on just the sound.

This is interesting although it sounds like you always had sub woofer control, which means you are on a different software version to those of us with B+O but non tech pack!?
Yes I've always had the subwoofer control. Now I thought I was an Audi buff but how do I know if I have the tech pack. We bought out the showroom and I was told it was black edition. Sheesh now I sound like a woman (which I am) buying a car cos she liked the colour lol. I'm not, honestly. I need to wait for,the husband to get home to check the software version. But will I not be on a totally different one now as I'm the first to test the proposed fix?

EDIT. just looked and no I don't have the tech pack

Last edited:
What is the software version installed?
I need to check......
The subwoofer settings that are now being realised are a good sign. Max levels are not a good thing as it should distort at those levels, especially near max volume setting, as you are driving the amplifier beyond it's capabilities. Truly high end audiophile equipment have no tone controls, as their amps produce quality sound reproduction at all volume levels, that is not the case with any car sound system that I have heard, regardless of cost. Have a look at the innards of a 12V DC car amplifier and compare that with a medium to high end 120/220V AC home amplifier and you will be shocked at the comparison of components. Plus do not believe the amplifier output on car amplifiers, they are limited by a 12v input source, an inability to drive 8 ohm or higher impedance speakers to reasonable volumes and many other factors.
A car is probably the worst environment to try and hear and enjoy quality sound, but most car sound systems are OK, as you are not fully concentrating on just the sound.
good to know the fact I could put the subwoofer to max was not right. I do love the sound of the B&O. I only have the enhanced sound pack in my sq5 and really miss the B&O in it. My next car (possibly the s4) will devil have B&O

I'm in the US with a 2016 S3 and B&O with MMI high aka tech pack. I have the same issues with the sound settings, but fortunately I know when it's happened because the * button on the steering wheel changes from "next track" which I chose in MMI back to ADS (the default). Anyone in the US had this issue as well? We're lucky over here if the Audi dealer knows how their cars work, never mind fixing stuff. I usually have to show them. Never had this issue with the old 2015 A3 that had MMI low/no nav with B&O.

I find that all manner of settings reset periodically. Most of them are well documented on this thread, but outside of the bass & treble I have phone volume, * button and sat nav frequently reset on me.

When I refer to sat nav, mine will periodically stop using google maps and revert back to the standard mapping.

None of these are a disaster, but it does make you wonder how adequately these are checked!?

Latest software below; sound issues seem to be fixed so far:

Attachments

• IMG_3747.JPG
    IMG_3747.JPG
    521.2 KB · Views: 371
Interesting that mine is the same apart from - 0024 ECE 2017

mine appears to be newer software... don't think they've had to roll it backwards do you??

Well this is interesting I don't have a software version with my fix.......it's blank at the end of software version?????

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 343
I have B&O non tech pack... no issues with settings going back to factory spec :footy:

I also have the issue of volume etc. resetting on my MY17 S3 with B&O. My software version is 0191 and I am waiting to hear back from the dealer.

I have B&O non tech pack... no issues with settings going back to factory spec :footy:

Would need to see your MMI details but if you're MY2018 then I suspect you may be on a different SW version to begin with.

Although if that were the case then surely we would all simply get an update to that version?

How long have you had the car? If not long, you may have simply been fortunate so far... the time between these things happening is quite random and sometimes mine is ok for weeks at a time.

Reactions: Timi8888
I also have the issue of volume etc. resetting on my MY17 S3 with B&O. My software version is 0191 and I am waiting to hear back from the dealer.

Good luck... please let us know what they say as you are in the same position as me.

Would need to see your MMI details but if you're MY2018 then I suspect you may be on a different SW version to begin with.

Although if that were the case then surely we would all simply get an update to that version?

How long have you had the car? If not long, you may have simply been fortunate so far... the time between these things happening is quite random and sometimes mine is ok for weeks at a time.
Oh damn lol. I've only had it a week. Hopefully mine stays the same! How do I check what software mine is?