Checklist for the Big Day

DickiePhitt

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
OK, my big day, when I pick up the S3, is a few weeks away yet. Nevertheless, based on previous car purchases I know dealers have a habit of grabbing loose items from one car in order to replace a missing item in another. Since my dealer is not local I don't want to be going back for missing items. Be nice to know exactly what should be in the car.

From this forum there seem to be a few simple VAS mods to the MMI that should be requested.

Finally some trinkets that might be begged off the dealer on the day?

I've started a list, below. Anything to add, anyone?

Loose things that should come with car

First aid kit – under driver’s seat?

Hi viz jackets - in compartment under centre of rear seats?

Warning Triangle

Jack

Mats (front & Rear)

Ashtray/Cup (smoker pack)

MMI setup

ACC Menu enable - VAS by dealer

Oil temp to display on all DIS menus - - VAS by dealer

Miscellaneous things to sort on the day

AMI cable – depending on smart phone model/type

Paint touch in pencil

S3 keyrings

Reactions: RedTurtle and A3_Rider
Just off the back of what u said about oil temp, I noticed that because the boost has replaced the temp now on the S3 how do you know the temp? I usually only lash it when it's early enough? Is this what ur saying about having to ask them to put it on or is there a way of being able to check it on the driver display

That should have said lashed it when it's hot enough!

Good point, could we have a comprehensive list of what should come as standard on the S3?

Is it bad I knew you were going to post that exact reply haha. I searched after I posted. Found out a few things. Still nice to have a convo about it now and again! :)

Reactions: Minion Bob!
Don't forget to check all your documents. It's important to check the service booklet is the right one for your car. The A3 I had in November came with one for some one else's car.

I stopped allowing the dealers to remove the wax. But this prevents you from thoroughly checking the paint work. I had a new R32 and once I removed the wax protection (which really needs a hot wash) I found the whole car was covered in fine particles that were embedded in the paint. It was so bad I had to return the vehicle (after a ten month wait for it) and got a full refund. The fact that the dealer didn't remove the protection didn't help at all.
So now I'll let them clean it but not wax or polish it. But it's up to you.

But whatever, enjoy the experience, I bet it's been a long wait so have a great day. Collecting a new car is something special so make the most of it.

Wax protection? I thought they cover the new cars with a white sheet to protect it until delivered? Slightly confused....

Is it the protective film left over residue?

Last edited:
Oil temp to display on all DIS menus - - VAS by dealer

This isn't done by VAS but by VCDS so dealer can't do it.

And to answer another question below, yes this is the only way of seeing the engine temp - wait for 80°C and give it some :)

Wax protection? I thought they cover the new cars with a white sheet to protect it until delivered? Slightly confused....

Is it the protective film left over residue?

All new cars are coated with some stuff to protect it while on the ship, meant to be nasty stuff which comes with its own removal fluid which is applied as part of the PDI before pickup.

I'm removing mine myself and I'm told it's meant to make the colour of the car look quite different and that's why dealers usually remove it.

As the PM for this thread I was disappointed by this posting. It seems to be at odds with this forum's usual helpful manner.

Yes, some of this stuff is on other posts, but not all - indeed I have been putting together a list for some time, including what I had found in other posts, as well as some of my own ideas from experience.

Yes, some of this stuff is on other posts but I was seeking a definitive list on a single thread - think sticky here and you get the idea - without the need to click through every thread on the forum.

Thanks to those who have added (will add?) some ideas to the original list.

So do a thorough job and pull together all the links on this thread, else keep your disappointment to yourself :p

Do a good job and it might get stickied. Otherwise it'll just be another me too thread.

There is some incomplete or incorrect info already though.

Eg:
First aid kit lives under the compartment in the driver seat, but is normally found in the boot.

Do all specs get the compartment under the driver seat?

Do all specs get the hi vis jackets and compartment in the car?

S3 Keyring?

Don't think Oil Temp is done by VAS

Last edited:
So do a thorough job and pull together all the links on this thread :p

and it might get stickied. Otherwise it'll just be another me too thread.

Don't think the links on this thread are going to be exhaustive - they were after all just 'eg' ones posted earlier by veeeight.

This thread is my attempt to make a (fairly) thorough job - through input from posters who have 'been there/done that - without making it a life's work. Surly the purpose of a forum and doesn't merit this grumpyness :p.

If there's already a thread addressing this specific subject then, sorry, I've missed it over the past 2 months or so of membership.

Hey there's no problem in making another thread! :tapedshut:

I would say check all the options (all! no matter how much they huff n puff) and check for marks/damages.

I had scuffed wheels and was told don't worry we will send someone out, I said don't worry because I'm not taking it! Few minutes later, four new wheels.

Also mileage, mine was 70 something, insane!!

My 2nd was used, but the entire boot lining (all of it) was ripped out you could see the insulation and wires! Wasn't like that the day I deposited though:keule:

Updated list, based on helpful input:-

Loose things that should come with car

First aid kit

Hi viz jackets

Warning Triangle

Jack & tools with spare

Mats (front & Rear)

Ashtray/Cup (smoker pack)

MMI setup

ACC Menu enable - VAS by dealer

Oil temp to display on all DIS menus (VCDS so not dealer option – phone a friend (with VCDS)!)

Miscellaneous things to sort on the day

Check mileage is minimal

Check paintwork & wheels

Check documents match the car

AMI cable – depending on smart phone model/type

Paint touch in pencil

S3 keyrings

Other considerations

How much dealer preparation do you actually want?

Reactions: RedTurtle, Relliott6879 and Liquidfusion-S3
Check documents match the car - Do they give you the V5 on the day?

AMI cable – depending on smart phone model/type - Do they give you an AMI cable?

Paint touch in pencil - Do they give you this?

S3 keyrings - Do they give you this?

Check documents match the car - Do they give you the V5 on the day?

AMI cable – depending on smart phone model/type - Do they give you an AMI cable?

Paint touch in pencil - Do they give you this?

S3 keyrings - Do they give you this?
Umbrella - nice red one?

You only get the hi-vis jackets and compartment in the rear seat, if you spec the Storage & Luggage Pack (QE1).

(but this is already part of the spec on S-Line and S3)

So do I need to inform dealer/sales guy about wax protection? I am still confused....! I want them to give me a brand new car
! I don't want to clean car myself on the first day !!!

What about MMI cable, so I tell him I have iphone 5s and please keep the cable ready??

Thanks

So do I need to inform dealer/sales guy about wax protection? I am still confused....! I want them to give me a brand new car
! I don't want to clean car myself on the first day !!!

What about MMI cable, so I tell him I have iphone 5s and please keep the cable ready??

Thanks

I've not had a new car before so can't comment too much but I was told that it comes with wax protection as I said earlier ( to protect on boat, etc ).

Don't know what it would be like to remove or what it looks like, other people can comment on this matter more.

I've not had a new car before so can't comment too much but I was told that it comes with wax protection as I said earlier ( to protect on boat, etc ).

Don't know what it would be like to remove or what it looks like, other people can comment on this matter more.

It needs a steam pressure washer and plenty of detergent (APC or TFR), there was still residue on my S1 on collection where it runs after they have finished. (Rushing I guess or lack of attention to detail).

Then it ideally needs degreasing with a citrus based cleaner, tar remover, fall out remover, then foam, then hand wash, then clay & re-wash, dry, before polish & protection.

For the first time ever I paid a local detailer to do my S1 the day after collection, it took him a day but its still immaculate after almost 3 months/1800 miles.

Reactions: Helifella
The dealer will provide you with a very clean and polished/waxed car unless you specify otherwise, in your case you shouldn't be asking them not to clean it.

One item missed I think is the locking wheel nut key............................ Make sure its in the tool kit.

Enjoy your new car .............

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
The dealer will provide you with a very clean and polished/waxed car unless you specify otherwise, in your case you shouldn't be asking them not to clean it.

One item missed I think is the locking wheel nut key............................ Make sure its in the tool kit.

Enjoy your new car .............

It could well be better to ask them not to clean it though, this is the way I'm going with mine I think.

It's risk of missing damage vs the 99% risk of ending up with swirls.

Such an obvious one missing from the list I assume the OP has taken it as read - take your order form with you and check off all the extras you ordered. Make sure you know what they should do/look like from the brochure before you go to collect the car.

When I picked up mine there were no MMI cables in the car to connect my phone. Almost as an afterthought the dealer asked me what phone I had and went back into the showroom to pick up the right cables. However as my phone is old and I shall be changing it shortly, I should have pressed him for a cable for the new phone as well.

Any1 had any experience with aberdeen audi? Av ordered a s3 from them, been told not to let them prep it?
My friend has his own detailing business so he would get it the same day to work his magic??

Any1 had any experience with aberdeen audi? Av ordered a s3 from them, been told not to let them prep it?
My friend has his own detailing business so he would get it the same day to work his magic??

Never had any problems with them but a pro detailer will always do a better job on your paint.

Reactions: s31jay
My friend said I shouldn't press for freebies it can mess the whole new car experience up, don't do that.

Some additional things:

Don't deposit the whole amount in advance in case something is up when you get there (I know some people do it there and then and not in advance, just saying!)
Don't rush, take your time and ignore any pressures as you check everything
Get your cover insurance from Audi for 7 days and confirm your dealer has received it, don't forget your licence!