advice needed on leaking rocker gasket !

woolley2021

Reaction score
Hi guys I recently noticed that my rocker gasket was leaking oil causing a mist of oil to be left on the turbo tip ...I noticed that the half moon built into the gasket towards the rear of the engine had a drip of oil sat on the lip ... so 2 days ago took the old gasket off removed the silicone and replaced with a new gasket after going out last night ... I noticed it's leaking from the same place again which is frustrating! Anyone got any advice ?? I used sealant on the points I should have too ??

Reactions: oldcar
was it an OE one or pattern part? I used a brand new pattern part from GSF (have used them before) when I did my engine build... its leaked all the time even with sealant so replaced it with an OE one (and used sealant) and all was good..

Also... recheck the tightness of the cam cover nuts... they tend to relax after a couple of heat cycles and when tightening them you should do it from middle and out...

<tuffty/>

Yeah my cam cover gasket which I replaced not long ago was an ebay special and guess what it leaks! Also the half moon seal plus timing chain gasket was replaced, again I sourced parts from ebay, and it leaks aswell!

Hi guys I recently noticed that my rocker gasket was leaking oil causing a mist of oil to be left on the turbo tip ...I noticed that the half moon built into the gasket towards the rear of the engine had a drip of oil sat on the lip ... so 2 days ago took the old gasket off removed the silicone and replaced with a new gasket after going out last night ... I noticed it's leaking from the same place again which is frustrating! Anyone got any advice ?? I used sealant on the points I should have too ??
Easy fix mate, I had the same leak when I bought this car, I was tossing up changing a new seal or do it myway. I belive this leak is caused by design...since every one had the same problem...
I ended up removing the rocket cover, not the halfmoon seal, and removed all the sealeant and cleaned it with 100% alcohol and dried and applied with new sealent. put back the cover, do the same where the half moon seal sets, cleaned it with alcohol, and filled up all the edges with gasket sealent. And guess what, NO MORE LEAKS for 3 months now not even a drip running 25psi.........I will show you the picture if you want to see it.

Easy fix mate, I had the same leak when I bought this car, I was tossing up changing a new seal or do it myway. I belive this leak is caused by design...since every one had the same problem...
I ended up removing the rocket cover, not the halfmoon seal, and removed all the sealeant and cleaned it with 100% alcohol and dried and applied with new sealent. put back the cover, do the same where the half moon seal sets, cleaned it with alcohol, and filled up all the edges with gasket sealent. And guess what, NO MORE LEAKS for 3 months now not even a drip running 25psi.........I will show you the picture if you want to see it.

Hi do you put the sealant on top of the gasket or on the metal? Or both?

Sam, I will post the picture late tonight. I use gasket sealent and make sure ALL SURFACE area is clean of grease including the halfmoon seal holes-patch it up level with the block. Make sure its dried before applying. The rocket gasket has to be tighten little tighter than what Audi mentioned, but not breaking the rubber. Once all selant apllied let it dried over night before driving off, once its dried it felt some kind of hard rubber.this makes the difference between the work shop and your own care.

Sam, I will post the picture late tonight. I use gasket sealent and make sure ALL SURFACE area is clean of grease including the halfmoon seal holes-patch it up level with the block. Make sure its dried before applying. The rocket gasket has to be tighten little tighter than what Audi mentioned, but not breaking the rubber. Once all selant apllied let it dried over night before driving off, once its dried it felt some kind of hard rubber.this makes the difference between the work shop and your own care.
here are two pictures i have high lightend it with the red markings..i hope this helps....make sure no grease on the metal surface before applying sealent.. I hope this helps...
DSC03384
DSC03385

Not having the best of luck with this gasket !! I have now snapped a stud off !! Front left stud very ****** off ... unsure my best option too remove this ?? @<tuffty/> also where can I get another to replace ??

Not having the best of luck with this gasket !! I have now snapped a stud off !! Front left stud very ****** off ... unsure my best option too remove this ?? @<tuffty/> also where can I get another to replace ??
I have had the cam cap bolts snap but not a stud before... depends on the reason it snapped... if the stud is corroded in then makes things a lot more tricky...

Typical options are...

..use a tapered extractor but as these are M6 studs its not going to be a fun job...

...drill out the stud... I did something similar to remove an M6 bolt from my daughters Polo last week... drilled it with a 4mm drill then a 5mm drill and the threads of the bolt should then be easy to remove... retap the thread with an M6 tap and hopefully all good....

...or get an M6 helicoil kit and drill out the stud using the method above then using the drill with the kit to drill out and tap for the helicoil

...or you may have to remove the head and take it to an engineering company to do

<tuffty/>