Rocker gasket

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Not sure if that is the term for it....whilst my car was on the ramp at the MOT place, mechanic noticed the rocker gasket had started to leak down the back of the engine, an apparent common fault? he reckons about £50 to change it.... question is, is this a DIY job?, very involving? he reckons not but he has worked on these for years..... has anyone else had this issue?

and its only £50 :)

Mine apparently has a very small leak from the rocker gasket but when I bought the car I couldn't see a leak at all.
The previous owner had had a quote from the main dealer for having it done... i'll check the paperwork for a price next time i'm at the car...

That sounds like a bargain, get them to check the VVT gasket as well as they tend to leak too.

The gasket is a of a one piece design and costs about £20 from the dealers. I changed my rocker cover gasket myself, it's easy enough to do. Took half an hour in total, that included smoking 2 cigarettes, (before and after), cuppa tea and faffing about using the Haynes manure, sorry manual to get the torque settings.

Unfortunately, my leak was caused by the VVT tensioner gasket so I had to do that a few weeks later... again easy enough if you have the right tool to lift the tensioner. Gasket for that was around £15. If you feel comfortable with basic DIY jobs, I would try changing atleast the rocker cover gasket yourself.

Yup, I changed mine myself, and it took me a couple of hours, but I've never done it before! Probably can do it in an hour now, there's so much stuff you need to take off to get to it, the charge pipe, fuel rail and all the coilpacks. I would pay the £50 to get it done in this weather.

Ok basic question but where is this gasket located? I ask because ive got what looks like a oil leak around the back of the block around the manifold area!

I found changing the rocker cover gasket to be easier than the thermostat. There's a few things in the way (i.e. the fuel rail, coil packs, charge pipe, N249 sensor) but they're simple to get to and the job itself is a simple take old gasket out, put new gasket in.

You'll need to buy some semi-permanent sealant to apply to the new gasket too.

cheers guys, he said it wasnt urgent and suggested he does it near the summer when hes going to tackle my growing list in one go :)

ill pay £50 before messing with sealants :)

The previous owner of my car told me Star Performance told him to change the rocker cover gasket as it was leaking slighty. I have left it and seems to be alright, no excessive oil lost if any.

Its really easy to change, few bolts to remove it. Do it yourself and spray the rocker cover while its off.

Im going to be changing mine soon.what are the torque settings please?.its for a A3 1.8T AGU

Cheers

10nm for the m6 cover bolts

as for the gasket... diy it. i wouldnt trust them to apply the silicon correctly and in the right places