A3 Search

chrisnic0

Reaction score
Hi guys im looking for the following

A3 1.8T - black or silver - manual 3 door, AC. And pref leather?
with 60,000 or less for

£4000 is this possible?

Can stretch to 70,000 miles, ive scouted autotrader, ebay, pistonheads and classifieds on here and no joy. Am i chasing a a pipe dream or has anyone else got a deal like this?

Thanks v much
Chris

im sure its possible.....

there are lots of cars on auto trader now going for around £3500 or less, with around 80-100k, so im sure stretchin the budget to £4k could get you a low mileage car, although possibly slightly older say 98 S reg for example....

i picked up my 98 S reg with 124k on the clock for £2850! and its in MINT condition,the mileage really hasnt done it any harm at all!

why is the low mileage so important to you?

you might be better off looking for a car thats just past 80k, as its really not high mileage, and by 80k it should have had the cam belt and water pump already done, which will save you around £400 or so....

I'd tend to agree with that, find the right car and the mileage wont matter - the engines in these go on forever.

yeah good point prawn about cam belt etc. Was looking for lower miles, just because of past experience. How long you reckon the engine will go for?
So if i look for the above with slightly over 80000 that will be a better bet?
Thank for your replies
Chris

P.s What kind of security to you get buying private? im guess not much (buyer beware) I mean what happens if it literally blows up on the way home?
Is it worth paying a bit more to get it from a trader?

i dont know about security when buying private, i think you just have to take your chances.

as for life span of the engines, ive heard of several 1.8T a4's going on well past 200k with no major issues.

there was one guy on here with a 1.8TQ that was over 140k, and had been mapped to 230bhp sinse 70k ish.

mine will clock over 140k in the next few weeks, and it still runs and drives like a brand new car, it uses hardly any oil, and ive not touched the water level sinse i got it almost a year ago. i really cant fault the car at all for its mileage, theres no visable interior wear, not a single noticable fault.

im sure at 80k itll still be pretty fresh really, with another 100k to go easily!

The only real security when buying private is that you know where the guy lives lol - so if it blows up on the way home u go visit him...........

Its worth paying that little bit more for the right car, there are lots n lots to pick from both private and from traders.

you can buy warranty if your concerned about it dying

Prices might have dropped recently but I bought mine 2 years ago for £4k its a 1.8 Sport from a dealer, no air con, sunroof and electric windows. Also got an MOT paid for, brakes replaced and service thrown in. I think your pushing it looking for £4k if prices are as they were, to find a good example I'd be looking to spend £6000.

id have to disagree with the 8k figure.

a decent 1.8T can be picked up now for 4k quite easily if your not fussed about having one around 100k miles. and look mainly at pre facelifts around 98-99,

I said £6k :) And sure you can pick one up if your not fussed about miles but he specified he wanted one at 60,000 or less, I was commenting on the fact that its difficult to get the spec he wanted for the price.