2001 Lights on 1999 A3 (tried search)

XXX_18T

Reaction score
Someone showed a pic of what they shaved off to fit the 2001 lights on 99 A3. Tried search but couldnt find pics.

Or if someone can post a pic of what they shaved off to fit these lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Oi!! Sorry Dude, due to a sick (and tempermental /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif) Frau, I didn't get online last night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Will look when I get a chance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

cheers thanx for the pics khufu - looks good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now who has done the updated lights?

rich what do you want to swap for mot?? wiring is NOT part of a mot ,the only thing the light's have to do is work and be the right color when you turn them on and headlamp aim alignment/beam image is checked

All i want to be able to swap is the bulb, therefore the wiring bit to alow changing back to standard bulbs.

Rich

I checked the MOT book, the levelling and washing may be a legal requirement on new cars, but they are not specifically tested for an MOT - YET (you'll be surprised what isn't checked). If the spread pattern is correct and they are pointing in the correct direction they should pass ok. I'm sure the test will change in years to come though.

Is that the relay for the after market fogs or what? I'm assuming the new headlamps would gain their power from the existing power loom?

Do the new connections to the facelift lights also operate the height adjustment motor??

Anyone please?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

hi Naresh
first off are you trying to fit xenons of just standard lights? i fitted standard ones which don't have the self leveling system so don't know much about the xenons.

also not sure what relay you mean for the fogs?
i don't have any front fogs fitted now but what you can do is use the old wires which powered the old headlights internal fogs and extend the wires down to your facelifted lower valance and fogs, this way the facelifted fogs will be controlled by the turn dial rather than a seperate switch.

[ QUOTE ]
Naresh said:
I'm assuming the new headlamps would gain their power from the existing power loom?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[ QUOTE ]
Naresh said:
Do the new connections to the facelift lights also operate the height adjustment motor??

[/ QUOTE ]

yes if you get the new motors the old plug doesn't fit very well but does work, but should really get new connectors to replace the old ones. Alternatively you could try and use the old larger motors form you existing lights which i think will just fit but is a bit large really and not ideal, but this way the existing connectors will fit.

Thanks mate I am fitting standard unit (non xenon)- but a couple more things please:

1) How do you know what wires from the existing wiring harness go into what terminal on the new lights?

2) Does the wiring conversion power the height adjustment motors?

3) Are there any gaps or places where the shape of the newer lights do not follow the shape of the wings and bumper? I heard somewhere about difficulties getting the bumper to fit back on and the lights not fitting perfectly?

I already have the fogs in the lower valence controlled by a custom switch on the dash.

Thanks!

Naresh refering to your pm, i did not cut the wiring loom in the car. instead i removed the wiring from my old headlights (making them useless) and cut off the plugs which connect to the headlight bulbs, attached spade connectors and connected them to the socket on the back of the new lights.

this is the wiring i took from my old lights

then plugged spades into new lights

Settle - regarding the motors, I am just looking to replace the headlamps themselves and perform the cutting and rewiring procedure you described. Did you have to purchase new motors or what? I am just looking for a fairly simple upgrade but may change my mind if the motors do not fit properly. Could you clarify this for me too please? Sorry to be a pain mate, just need to be sure before I go spending on the lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

2) Does the wiring conversion power the height adjustment motors?

the height motors have a seperate plug lights themselves, there are three plugs on the back of the lights

for the bulbs, this is the one which needs modding
for the indictors, the old bulb holder and plugs fit the new
for the range motors, use the old motors and attach them to your new lights

3) Are there any gaps or places where the shape of the newer lights do not follow the shape of the wings and bumper? I heard somewhere about difficulties getting the bumper to fit back on and the lights not fitting perfectly?

no they fit as well if not better than the old ones, the only reason that mine don't fit perfectly on one side is because my bumper is slightly deformed. So as long as your bumper is good the lights will be a good fit

Those pictures are very useful settle - do we wire up to the same points as shown in the picture> Would that arrangement apply to everyone here wanting to update to the 2001 standard lights?

Also can you say if you had any problems getting the bumper to fit back on and if the lights fitted flush with the curves on the bodywork ie. not looking out of place?

More pics of the lights on the car would be COOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

"Those pictures are very useful settle - do we wire up to the same points as shown in the picture> Would that arrangement apply to everyone here wanting to update to the 2001 standard lights?"

yes the wires are in the correct order, this will be the same for everyone

As for photos, put some overall pics of the car in my personal gallery earlier today, have a look at these and i'll take some close ups of how they fit, gaps etc

Settle, Does projektzwo front spoiler leave a gap between the headlights? I also did the headlight conversion on my Oettinger front spoiler as well and it left a gap at the first place.

I had to make the support to put the bumper up to fit with the headlights. Currently, the facelift headlights fit nicely.

Thanks in advance mate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Nick

Do those wires in the picture also power the indicator bulbs?

no the indictors have their own wiring and connectors
the wires in the photo were used in the old lights to power the fogs
if you have a look at the backs of your current lights it makes it easy to see what the different plugs are and do. The lights are very easy to fit, and it fairly obivous what needs doing when you get them in front of you, i modded the wings on the car and fitted the lights in about 2 and a half hours and this was with no guidence so shouldn't take much longer than that to fit.

[ QUOTE ]
tennisguy said:
Settle, Does projektzwo front spoiler leave a gap between the headlights? I also did the headlight conversion on my Oettinger front spoiler as well and it left a gap at the first place.

I had to make the support to put the bumper up to fit with the headlights. Currently, the facelift headlights fit nicely.

Thanks in advance mate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

hi
the projektzwo spoiler is fitted to the lower part of the standard bumper so i don't think it going to effect how the lights fit. I had thought mine has a gap because my bumper is a bit bent after a 'school boy error' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
could you explain what you did to support the bumper? would be good to see if it would make a difference to mine.
thanks

OK thanks Settle - I just wanted to know if the wires you attached the spade connectors too are exactly the same wires I'll need to use too, and that you didn't show a pic of the indicator wires - because I need to know what wires for the indicator need to go to which terminal on the new lights if you know what I mean.......I wouldn't want to short anything out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Had a quote from VAG PARTS of £134.95 + VAT each for them!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

im trying to get in touch with settle as im having probs clearing the bumper rails, but ill have pics by friday hopefully guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Im not doing angel eyes now! Just gonna get these face lift lences for my Xenon H7 kit I already have in my pre facelift lences. Yes your right rich about hot swapin the motor for the balasts to the normal conections - easy as 123.

Im considering the angel eye lights... Dont want them for the angle eyes, but because they are projectors, dont mean cutting anything, and still look good! Couldnt care less about the angle eyes to be honest!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
neversaydie said:
Only thing to consider Rich is that replacement Bulbs, MOt failure??? I've asked and asked and got no reply from autostylin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry?

Are they an MOT pass?

What replacemnt bulbs would you need and where to buy them from - you see the angel light is a round filiment is it not?

When that blows, then what? Just questions I ask myself before I commit.

[ QUOTE ]
neversaydie said:
Are they an MOT pass?

What replacemnt bulbs would you need and where to buy them from - you see the angel light is a round filiment is it not?

When that blows, then what? Just questions I ask myself before I commit.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Angel eyes' is basically a plastic rod which is made round, and marks made on it... Light is put through it which lights up the marks an creates the halo effect. They use standard bulbs.

Rich

arh ty kind sir you have all the info - So in that case I have a dilema like you Rich!!

Angel eyes or Facelift Lights and cutting my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Im going for angel eyes then - but I wonder if performance is any better than normal lights (or worse)?

Would my Xenon's go in here?

If not I could sell the Xenon's to fund these! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif