S-line fogs problemo!

aristides

Reaction score
Hey fellas

As some of you know , i`m about to retrofit a s-line bumper + xenons etc etc to my 2008 Sportback.

Well i was after some s-line fogs the other day and got a very good deal from a seller in Germany,

Sadly the fogs arrived today and i realised that they are not OEM but aftermarket ones. Actually the firm is called TYC automotive Lamps.

Checked the lamps, they are Spahn`s H11, 55w/12V, exactly like the OSRAM bulbs Valeo uses for the OEM fogs.

Should i just resell them , or not even bother? Build quality seems very good to me and they are just like the OEM`s

They are also brand new

Why not just fit them if the build & connections/bulbs are the same, whose gonna know they're not oem.

Well, myself, of course!!!

Hehe joking aside, i`m just worried cause there is a sticker : Made in Taiwan!

I dont wanna drive along one day with my fogs on and catch fire!!

I`ve handled a OEM fog once and they seem similar in build quality, dunno man, bit disappointed with my purchase to be honest....

Ever heard of TYC as a brand? What should be the things that i should check before putting them on? If they fit OK of course!

Just plug them in & see if any bulb warnings come up at all you tart, stop dithering over a pair of fog lights :)

For the record you will probably find many VAG parts are made in Taiwan, much like most technical things we use everyday, so that isnt even a concern if you ask me slim.

Hmmm ok then the tribe has spoken :)

Will try them on but if i ever create a thread with the title "Fog lights on fire" well its gonna be on you mate!

:doctor:

Tribe, lmfao, elder you mean, lol

As I said Aristotle, test it with bulb warnings & check the heat generated before fitting 100%, should be fine mate if its got the is it CE impression in plastic or label.

N. i decided to run a test here at home to see what`s what.

I connected the new fogs to a molex connector on my pc (12V) and let it run for a good 10 minutes.

I wanted to see how good the bulb glows and how hot it would get. Well after 10 minutes the damn fog is extremely hot. I`m not talking hand warm, i`m talking i couldnt even touch the thing!

Is this normal? I`ve never spent that attention to my older fogs to see how hot they get, but is it normal to get soooooooooo hot in such a shot period of time?

Personally I would of tested them on the car, remember driving would also cool them down alot mate as obviously your car wouldnt be standing still whilst on mainly, you could always test your old ones to compare if it worries you overall.

yes it is common for the bulb to get that hot, try touching plain glass bulbs in your house after 10 mins, now consider that in teh fog all of the light is focused onto one area just check there marked and if not i wouldnt run them if so its fine

yes it is common for the bulb to get that hot, try touching plain glass bulbs in your house after 10 mins, now consider that in the fog all of the light is focused onto one area just check there marked and if not i wouldnt run them if so its fine

Ah man you ruined my fun, thats was my next advise to test heat comparisons lmfao

to sum up just how often do you use your fogs

Was gonna be my next point lol

Great minds great help as always :)

But guys, i`m not gonna go and touch some bulbs to see if they go hot , lmao, i know already! I just couldn`t believe that the fogs would get that hot! Even the grills might melt with such heat!

I`ve searched for the golden CE marking but still haven`t found it :)

Also, i barely use my fogs, just on b roads or bad weather conditions, but still, what would happen if i had to use them and they went wrong?

There's an echo in here lmao

Damn he has common sense, we'll get him next time :haha:

My missus maybe 8 months gone but I aint into animal games, I can make it

lmao you naughty naughty boy

I was thinking more on the experiment side loool

& that post was any better, feck me son, lol (not literally you understand)