Economy - shockingly bad.

I usually get around 340 miles to a tank but on a run down the M1 at the weekend i got 460 miles to the tank sat at the speed limit (was in no rush and fuel IS expensive!) I personally dont think the MPG is bad. i dont think you can get anything else quicker thats the same price, age etc that will use less fuel.

on another note my MAF sensor packed in so replaced it the other week and i have noticed that its doing about 2mpg more (tested with the cruise controll on along the same road same speed etc). so it seems it does help but it will take a bit to get £170 in fuel back at 2mpg more so not reccomending it unless needed anyway!

My 1.6 averages around 30-32 MPG everywhere, mainly town driving but it's got that on the motorway at a decent speed :sly:

I'm stuck with no power and not much economy either :tapedshut:

I usually get around 340 miles to a tank but on a run down the M1 at the weekend i got 460 miles to the tank sat at the speed limit (was in no rush and fuel IS expensive!) I personally dont think the MPG is bad. i dont think you can get anything else quicker thats the same price, age etc that will use less fuel.

on another note my MAF sensor packed in so replaced it the other week and i have noticed that its doing about 2mpg more (tested with the cruise controll on along the same road same speed etc). so it seems it does help but it will take a bit to get £170 in fuel back at 2mpg more so not reccomending it unless needed anyway!

why didn't you do an exchange for your old maf unit, £59-£69 at Audi GSF or Euro

I see 6 on a regular basis. I believe Tuffty does too.... Suprise suprise....

WTF, 6mpg, mate thats really bad, lmao, lowest ive ever had is low 20's and thats with some serious hammer and i mean serious hammer lol.

Im getting between 350-370 miles to the tank. Not too bad really.

I miss my fabia 1.4TDI runabout. That did 450miles but had a much smaller tank.

370 miles from 62 litres
or
450 miles from 35 litres

Yeh...I may end up buying a 2.0 170 A4 Avant. Nice cars.....not necessarily amazing on fuel but certainly better than the S3....Will see.

To add to the list of responses to this thead, I do 95% of my driving in my S3 to & from work on country roads (lucky me!) and average 30mpg. The journey is 12 miles each way and I don't drive like a nutcase but also not like I'm trying to conserve fuel for the future generation! I agree with the comment above about 2nd gear @ 3k rpm and consider that sufficient reward for my fuel costs...

Regarding £40 for 125 miles, I did a little maths on this, as follows;

For me:
30mpg => around 6.6 miles per litre, so a full tank (60 litres) should give around 396 miles total range (let's call it 400 between friends). That's pretty much what I get, although I NEVER go below 1/4 tank for fear of dragging up crap from the bottom of the tank (whether it's possible or not, that's what I've always done...). So at 125 pence/litre, that's £75 for a full tank.

For Welly:
£40 will buy about 32 litres = 7.04 gallons (at 125 pence/litre). So 125 miles on this £40 is only about 17mpg! And that'd be about 1/2 tank for only 125 miles => just 250 miles for a full tank.

That's either a heavy right foot or something wrong with your engine as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Its 1.21 in coventry (v power!) Good to see some decrease!

Lowest i've seen my instant mpg reading is 5.7 when I was giving it a bit of second gear uphill.

You only live once, might aswell use the fuel while we have it :laugh:

Yeah, I agree with that! Sod it, I eat everything I buy and recycle everything it's packaged in, so I figure that I'm due a little bit of environmental slack at some point!

welly. you boost leak tested it lately mate?

sounds worse than my S4 and at least that thing wasnt bright yellow

ive recently bought a mk4 20vt. seems to be even more frugal than my mk3 valver haha

completely standard s3, 210bhp AMK engine too :(
There's got to be something wrong there hasn't there? Even with the pedal pinned to the floor I'd have thought you should be averaging more than 13.8. :sign_omg:

When accelerating hard I often see 9mpg..........
I see 6 on a regular basis. I believe Tuffty does too.... Suprise suprise....
Are you talking about average or real-time MPG? I can get the real-time MPG down to almost zero by flooring it and not changing up until the limiter. :laugh:

I averaged 13mpg with track work, you need to be bouncing of the rev limiter in 2nd gear to get under 10mpg in an S3! I think the 1.8T* is pretty economical in standard and remapped form.

*Not including Big Turbo conversions. :)

define economical, chasing BMWs gets my MPG down quite low my max is 27 and no BT in sight sadly

I guess it's personal preference at the end of the day Mark, I think 25mpg is good for a car with 250ish BHP, nearer 30mpg on a long run. If you compare it to a diesel or a small petrol engine, then that's a different topic.

At the moment my S3 is costing me a bomb to run. I put £40 worth of Super unleaded in on Wednesday last week.

Filled up with another £40 today.

Have only done 125 miles to that £40 and that wasn't driving hard. Well, that hard. If fuel prices keep going up, I might have to think about swapping to a diesel I must admit. I spend sooooooo much money on fuel a month it's a joke.

Rant over.

I have had my S3 for a while now, 2 months, 4k miles nearly, but never really done a proper sort all round journey till today, hence East Sussex to Watford, roughly 190 miles round trip, Generally lots of traffic, hold ups on the motorway, but only over taken buy a 3 cars there and back, in the outside lane pretty well all the way on the motorway following traffic, had to go around traffic so some outter london driving to, on the way home, traffic a lot less, some fast over taking on B roads, and average between 80/90 motorway where I could and dare I say more in a few places, so not a plod by no means, 31.9 total average there and back, so Somewhat Impressed tbh. Sure I can get it down to 20 odd mpg but seriously on average days drive not plodding you should be getting 30 ish

Side NOTE, really should take notice of SAT NAV, wondered why I was told to take the EAST side of the M25, whe it is far shorter to take the west for me, real bad jams,,,,, At one point on the M25 the SAT yelled Stationary traffic 50 Yds ahead, LOL it was not far out either. slightly more impressed :)

I put £20 (at 124.9p/litre ~ 16 litres) in last week as I don't use my car much, and managed just over 100 miles (think it was 108) before my fuel light came on again. And that was driving in town with traffic for a big part of it.

So 125 miles for £40 is exceptionally low I think.

I think my s3 is pretty good! Motorway to work, around 100 mile round trip, costs me under 15quid of Sunleaded! Says 35mpg on the computer! Can't believe 40quid for 125, that is around half what I get from my 210 S3, no mods at all!

bought the mk4 in reading on saturday. put about £50 of SUL in, didnt even fill the tank, its done 350 miles so far and not empty

I am slightly worried myself, due to the fact you all have s3s and are getting the same mpg as myself if not better and i only have an AUM 1.8t a3?

yours must be really broken (or loads of inner city driving etc) but even then id still get 22-23mpg in the S4

I NEVER go below 1/4 tank for fear of dragging up crap from the bottom of the tank (whether it's possible or not, that's what I've always done...)

:laugh: all the fuel is drawn from the bottom of the tank!

Im at Stage 2 from C/C and get 290 maybe 310 to a tank sometimes.

Went on the motorway other month, got 390.

Grandad alert :)

Hahaha :)