gear box oil..

there is a 17mm (iirc) drian plug on the underside of the box and a matching filler one on the side.Drain it out and refil til it just dribbles out of the filler plug with 75W90 oil, semi synth minimum, preferably fully synth.

As above^^ but also make sure that you can open the filler plug BEFORE draining the old oil, I drained mine to find the filler plug too tight to open. Luckily my dad managed to open it after 'freezing' the nut with some special spray and then cracking it open. Could have been a little embarassing otherwise...:think:

is there no specific measures for the g/box oil, or is the filler plug specifically located for this reason?

Thats how it is, there is a measurement, but then you would never get ALL of the old oil out so you would then be overfilling.

Most boxes are 17mm hex, there are a few that are a stupid spline thing with a centre pin.

Yes the S3 is the same, tho i would deffo use fully synth on them due to the box being clumsy at best tbh

Last edited:
Thats how it is, there is a measurement, but then you would never get ALL of the old oil out so you would then be overfilling.

Most boxes are 17mm hex, there are a few that are a stupid spline thing with a centre pin.

Yes the S3 is the same, tho i would deffo use fully synth on them due to the box being clumsy at best tbh

ah yes, very true, thanks for that matey :icon_thumright:

gonna try and use the shockproof oil that opieoils stock to try and smooth out gear changes, as you say the box on the s3 isnt very refined lol

cheers... think i mite do this soon, box felt a little notchy today :S

I might do this on my car when the weather gets better, mines been feeling a bit notchy lately (nothing bad, just not as smooth as it was).

And transmission oil makes me gip every time I smell it....nasty stuff!.

Does the car need to be jacked up? Are there any pictures about for doing this?

isnt it supposed to be sealed for life..... or is it in the service schedule

supposed to be yeah.

It can seep away, but after 100k or more it's bound to past it's best and for a modest cost it can improve shifting a lot

ahh okies cheers MArk.... will consider this at some point when i next have it on the ramp

isnt it supposed to be sealed for life..... or is it in the service schedule

i dont know why audi didnt put this on the service schedule, rear diff too, how can they expect an oil to still be as effective after 100k miles, you wouldnt leave your engine oil unchanged for that long would you, i should hope not anyway lol

ive just ordered 3litres of that redline shockproof oil from opie oils, im hoping it will smooth out the changes as mine is very notchy and can crunch when cold so il report back when i put it in (this weekend if it arrives)

Had a look at the drain and fill plugs on my box yesterday and they're the splined type like this:

DSC00902-1.jpg

Anyone know where to get the right tool for this?

'Had a look at the drain and fill plugs on my box yesterday'

:) is it just me feeling childish today :)

:) There'a always one,

mind you, need to give the missis' box a good service, lol.

Last edited:
Ollie, when you come to do it, PM me your address i can send you mine if you promise to return it etc

Had a look at the drain and fill plugs on my box yesterday and they're the splined type like this:

DSC00902-1.jpg

Anyone know where to get the right tool for this?

Ollie, when you come to do it, PM me your address i can send you mine if you promise to return it etc

That would be great, cheers. :icon_thumright: I will most likely be doing this next month at some point, so will pm you closer to the time.