Dead S3 xenon headlight - Help!!!

dpeilow

Reaction score
Hi,

Wondering if any of you have had this experience...

Last week, one week after my car's warranty expired, one of my headlights packed up. They are the standard HID xenons fitted to the S3. I took it down to the local dealers (Guildford Audi) and they told me that the igniter circuit has failed, and that this is £350 to fix. I told them I would check my options before going ahead with the work.

I phoned Audi UK to see if they would help out as the car is so soon out of warranty. I was told that they would have to contact the dealer and would get back to me.

Then last night, the light decided to fire up again - twice. Obviously this looks like a loose connection. Having heard nothing from Audi UK for 2 days, I was driving past the dealers and decided to pop in. At least if it was a loose connection, they could maybe identify it and sort it out. However, this time I am told that you cannot buy the igniter circuits seperately as they are part of the headlamp itself and you have to buy a bulb too. Oh, and the bumper must come off. Total cost £550.

So I got back and decided to phone Audi UK again to see if they will make a goodwill payment. This time I spoke to someone who was more senior who said that it could be possible to make a payment and will get back to me today.

The other option I have considered it to purchase a 3rd party warranty on the car and then get the work done in a couple of weeks. What are the chances of getting away with that?

So, if anyone knows that Audi are talking rubbish or trying to rip me off here, or if anyone knows where it can be done significantly cheaper, please let me know. I'm even considering downgrading to halogens here...

All this for something that is functionally identical to a flourescent light starter that you can buy in B&Q for £5!!!

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
marctwo said:
I've had one of my headlights fail once too, although switching the ignition off and on again got it back on. This hasn't happened since. Someone else on the forum said this happened to them once in 3 years. My car is still under warrenty so I might decide to be on the safe side and take it into the stealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be me... If it's working now, I wouldn't worry about it mate. Like I mentioned in a post somewhere else in the forum, once in three years of ownership, and that was 2 years ago. I know what you mean about being worried, especially after getting the typical 'AUDI' type of quotes. To me, it just felt like one of the Xenons just didn't get the high voltage charge needed to 'light' them up, it also happened to be a very cold evening, so not sure if that has anything to to do with it. So unless it keeps happening, nowt to worry about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks for the replies guys.

Last night I had a call back from Audi UK to say they would pay for 70% of the parts cost. Looking at the bulb itself, it is going slightly black compared to the other. I think it would be prudent to get both bulb and ballast changed (as they do for an official part apparently), so I will probably take this option.

However, Guildford Audi are proposing to charge almost £200 in labour. They say the bumper needs to come off. (by my calcs this is almost £150/hour!!!)

Any comments on this, like go somewhere else I expect...

Had this happen to mine a day after I bought her from Audi, so they replaced the whole lamp and bulb.................if I was to pay for it the job came to almost £900.

Almost passed out, but I did not pay for it!

Thanks jojo. Just feeling a bit paranoid. Only had the car 2 months and still trying to keep it 'perfect'. Don't know how long that will last! If it starts happening regularly then I'll get it checked out.

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
[ QUOTE ]
marctwo said:
I've had one of my headlights fail once too, although switching the ignition off and on again got it back on. This hasn't happened since. Someone else on the forum said this happened to them once in 3 years. My car is still under warrenty so I might decide to be on the safe side and take it into the stealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be me... If it's working now, I wouldn't worry about it mate. Like I mentioned in a post somewhere else in the forum, once in three years of ownership, and that was 2 years ago. I know what you mean about being worried, especially after getting the typical 'AUDI' type of quotes. To me, it just felt like one of the Xenons just didn't get the high voltage charge needed to 'light' them up, it also happened to be a very cold evening, so not sure if that has anything to to do with it. So unless it keeps happening, nowt to worry about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You can on eBay...

OK here's an update:

The car is going in for a bodywork repair anyway - unfortunately I hit a deer on the other side and cracked the bumper (and the deer's head pretty seriously too) - so naturally I told the dealers that it makes sense for the light to be repaired while the bodyshop *replaces* the bumper. They were in agreement that this was a good idea.

Anyway, I get the car booked into the bodyshop (bare in mind that this is the official VW-owned one that Guildford Audi use) and call back to tell them that they need to supply the light to the bodyshop. Well, the same guy then says I can't have the 70% from Audi UK if it isn't done by an Audi dealers!!! Audi UK then agreed with them, even though they are only giving me this disount on the part.

So now this bumper is coming off twice within the same week and I have to pay 2 lots of labour charges. What a f#@king joke...

Fortunately I've just remembered that a friend of my brothers works at a VW shop in the south west. Guildford Audi might be losing out on both bits of work now.

Dave

Cheers once again guys.

I actually did complain to UK customer services, but they sided with the garage. It "has to be done in an Audi workshop", despite my protestations that this was the official bodyshop for that dealer.

And those lights are for the older model, nice thought though. It isn't the parts cost that is the issue so much, with Audi offering the 70%.

Dave