ABS Sensor

tazzy baby

Welsh & Proud
Reaction score
Hi all anyone know how far a ABS Sensor has to be pushed in the one on my car is no good so had a spare one and i dont know how far to push it in the holder Cheers

you can push it in too far then it hits the sensor ring and chews the end off as i found to my cost if its moving freely in the hole push it all the way in then back it off a couple of mm

Is there a set measurement it needs to be positioned away from the sensor ring...? I've got to do one on mine...

Easy job? Not investigated the work involved yet.

Are we talking about front or rear, but looking at elsawin there is nothing about a gap distance.

This is the only quote from elsawin about a gap.

"
Pay attention to the following points when routing the speed sensor wiring:
’ Route the speed sensor cable -1- in the area shown on the left and right below the brake pipe -2-.’
On the left-hand side, maintain a clearance of about 2 cm between the heat shield of the exhaust system and the speed sensor cable.

"

O yes, less than useless.

On a side note does anyone know how to remove the front sensor? Elsawin say's pull it out (Fat chance) the dam thing is stuck in there, and don't want to damage it.

As the ABS rotor on the is part of the drive shaft and hidden away, has anyone ever had to clean the front rotors?

i have always pushed them in till they touched the backed them out a few mm.

Soaking the stuck sensor in WD40 or similar can aid removal. however it will probably be simpler to drop the driveshaft out to clean the reluctar ring with out risk to the sensor

Just seen the price of the OEM parts, over £100.....

Yep! That's what I want to make sure the eBay items at £20 are okay to use...

I'll go to a breakers, if I need to replace them. After looking at the work that needs to be done to clean the rear rotors, I'm going to leave it till the weekend as the bolts holding the rear caliper would need to be replaced as they are badly corroded. Another few quid down the drain replacing bolts!

Last edited:
Looks good to me.!

The connector etc looks as i remember them. Its under warrenty if it breaks, so for £20 it's prob worth a punt

Coolio... the voice of the expert has spoken... as eBay takes another £20 out of my account... lol

There has to be a fairly close distance between the pick-up sensor (they are inductive type I think) and the trigger wheel. If it's too far away you won't pick up the signal, similarly you don't wan't it touching or rubbing against it as it will ruin it.

So... push it all the way in till it touches the ring, then pull it out 1-2mm...?