B5 Facelift door mirror cap removal.

knotty

thirsty green posing machine
Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me how to remove the Door mirror caps on a B5 facelift?
I guess its quite simple and could probably work it out but really dont wont to break anything in the process of finding out!
Any ideas?
Thanks.

i would imagine remove screws under the mirror (outside)

Last edited:
are you painting them?
TBH it is not worth the hassle, screws are undoubtedly rusted away to nothing, you will probably end up drilling the heads of and then trying to remove the stump that is left in,
pull the entire mirror and mask it if painting.
I ended up swapping the mirror whole when one mof my caps/cases was broken as it was so difficult to remove the screws without damaging the chassis or leaving them with no bolt hole

I have removed the cover from a B5 Passat and it's quite complicated - you have to twist/pull/shove/turn it all over the place to remove the tabs. You're best off removing the whole mirror from the door...

I added some brushed alum ones at christmas, took about 10 - 15mins a mirror:

- Remove glass first (pull it off lifting from top to bottom, not left to right)
- I left my glass connected to the heater elec cables (connections looked a bit iffy)
- Undo x2 lower screws (be careful, like JCB says they may be rusty, good screwdriver ! don't round them off!)
- Remove lower plastic cover (clips out)
- Shroud should now come loose, but needs prising off a couple of clipped points, you'll see them/
- Thread shroud off mount and feed mirror through..
Done

Really isn't that hard - But Watch Those Screws - -Softly Softly Catch The monkey !
Hope this helps..

Thanks guys sounds like fun! i will have a go and see what happens,at least i now know what to do and look out for.
Hopefully it should look better with Aluminium mirrors.

Cheers