Roof Bar Fitting Help

manzi

Reaction score
hey all,

i've managed to source some roof bars, what do i need to fit them? i've only got the bars and nothing else, my avant didn't come with any either :(

i have done a search and my avant is a face lift model, there seems to be plastic housing on roof liner where the screws should go, so fingers crossed i don't need to take head lining down.

cheers

you do.
You should get someone with ETKA to list the part numbers. I think there are some internal washers or brackets that go in there as well

cheers jcb, i buzz my mate at euro tomo.
i ask coz apparently there is no such thing as a fitting kit for roof bars from Audi, either that or they just couldn't be bothered.

do you just remove the strip on the outside or is there a smaller piece to replace it?

i fitted my roof bars.
did you get the bolts and rubbers with the bars.
if not you have to get the bolts from Audi, you could probably get away with a different bolt but for the £8 i would go with the right ones.
what you will need to fit them is, a template a drill a tape measure and a file will come in handy to smooth off any rough edges, the template you might be able to buy from Audi, i got my template with the bars i bought from Audi.
it ain't a matter of just lifting the strips out of the drain gully on the roof, the bars don't fix anywhere near them and you wont have to touch them.
if you get the template and measure spot on and drill the holes carefully you will find the fixings inside the first skin of the roof, you will need to take the roof lining out or at least pull it down enough to get the bolts in.
if you need any more help, i ain't far.

gruf - thanks for clearing that up.

might leave it to after xmas now :p didn't know it was a complex job.
i'll give you a shout if need help tho - cheers.

any chance of getting part number for them bits?

part number for the bolts: 8D9 0711154
Rubber Seal Set: 8D9 071155
The template you cant buy on its own you have to order a set of roof bars to get the templates.
the bolts are obsolete but if you ring Audi Inverness there showing a set in stock...get em to post em to ya.
if you go back to the car you got the bars from you could make a template for yourself or you could order the bars from Audi, take the template out and send them back, i had about four sets of bars sent to me before i got a good set, they had been storing them on there ends in transit and scratched them, they kept emailing the delivery company to store them flat, they never listened until the forth time, i would order the bars, keep fingers crossed and hope they scratch the ends, then you can borrow the templates photo copy them, then send it all back and tell them you have bought else where and you cant wait for the next delivery, then you can get a refund.
Thats the best i can do

I'm having my car sprayed in the new year and to save money i want to strip as much as pos down i.e taking the roof bars off.

How hard is it to move the roof liner and undo the bars?
Can you remember enough to do a small "how to"?
This should help Manzi when it comes to it aswell.

if you take the front, middle and rear pillar posts off and your careful you can bend the roof liner down enough to get a socket and bar to the fixing points.

The template you cant buy on its own you have to order a set of roof bars to get the templates.

TEMPLATE!!! :(

do you really need this? i can't be bothered to faff with ordering one. simply coz i'm one of these that is lazy to send it back. btw i'm also trying to keep cost bare minimum coz i don't have much money knocking about :shrug: lol

the template guides the drill hole to match up with the fixings inside your roof skin, if your not close then it wont match up properly, you might not be able to get the bolts into the fixings inside the skin.
go to the breakers or where you got your bars from and make a template