A4 2.4 to A3 1.8T??

sam4191

If In doubt, Flat out!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have just done some insurance quotes for Feb (a long way off, I know). But it has come out that an A3 1.8T is about £40 cheaper than my A4 to insure. I'm just wondering really whether or not this sounds like a good idea (to swap). I love the A4.. such a lovely drive, but I want the fun of a Turbo to play with, and would like a hatch. Anybodies opinion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

What year is your A4? If it's anything like our 96, 2.6 one you're in for a pleasant shock!

I think you will find the A3 a bit slow tbh. As std they are a tad slow and lacking torque IMO.

Really? I thought it would be about the same standard. Only looking at stats though TBH, never been in one. I have had a look at remaps... you can see 194bhp from a 150? I suppose that means uprated intercooler, etc?

Only thing I would miss about mine is that lovely v6 burble! =P

My A3 1.8T slaughters our A4 in every possible way, it's faster and the handling difference is so much better it's comical.

The a4 must only just be able to turn then !

Get the quattro a3 more drivable all year round and comes with the k03s so want feel slower than the a3 sport as its heavier. plus the k03s remaps to 225bhp with the right mods, or generic 210bhp. Ive heard the difference between the k03 and the k03s is huge.

Just be able to turn what? It's horrible, it wallows in the corners, the brakes are either on or off and the acceleration is glacial. I had the misfortune to use it for 3 months on a 120 mile commute over the North York Moors which should have been a blast and it was torture!

Last edited:
Was just saying that as the a3's handling isnt brilliant that if it was comical over an a4 then the a4 must be absolutly terrible. As it sounds by what you just said.

It is truly terrible, I'm pretty impresed with my A3 to be honest, I've owned a lot of cars and it's one of the best handling, I've no doubt a Quattro is better but for what it is I think the chassis is pretty well sorted. Might help that I have 17's on, I don't know.

Yer i dont think its that bad really, just understeers quite a bit. quattro makes it less chuckable around corners. But only owned a 1.6 pug so havnt ever chucked a car around corners anyway!

But yer id go for an a3. facelift's come with the k03s, quattro and sport, but sport still 150bhp quattro 180bhp.

I'll be going for an S3 next, should have got one this time but needed a car quickly and this one came up with low miles etc for good money. I should really sell it now while the markets good but I like it too much, that said if someone was to make an offer...

Milltek goes on on Tuesday too :eek:)

My A3 1.8T slaughters our A4 in every possible way, it's faster and the handling difference is so much better it's comical.

Point 1 What A4 did you drive as none of what you have said is true.

Point 2, the A4 is meant to be a comfortable cruiser, which with the V6 engine i imagine i is. The A3 isnt as well screwd together IMHO with less space and about the same weight.

Only the facelift Quattro had the K03s, not ALL facelifts.

My mate has an A4 1.8T sport and i think its a lovley car, i agree its better screwed together than the A3 and drives lovely, though given the choice i went for the A3 purely because i prefer hatchbacks...for now.

Cant comment to much on the V6 A4 but i would think the 2 cars really are completely different, both are good cars depending on what you want out of them...

Point 1 What A4 did you drive as none of what you have said is true.

Point 2, the A4 is meant to be a comfortable cruiser, which with the V6 engine i imagine i is. The A3 isnt as well screwd together IMHO with less space and about the same weight.

I have an A4 2.6 SE. What I said is completely true as I drive both cars every week so I think I'm in a good position to compare! I never commented on comfort, yes it is quite comfortable until you show it a corner. To your last point, the A4 is 18 months older than the A3 and has had fer more things go wrong, bits of trim come off etc. I'm not saying this is representative of all A4s but you can only speak as you find and in owning both that's what I'm doing.

Get the A3, its more fun, has a turbo which you'd like the idea of and be cheaper to run...i think there lovely cars...

Dunno if it's much help but...I have an A4 and an S3, as in my sig.
I love the A4 because it's lighter (non-quattro), the power steering feels A LOT lighter! I also like that the seating position is much lower in the A4.
I love the S3 because it feels much more solid. It kind of feels like the bigger of the two! I find the handling of the S3 far superior, and the ride of the S3 much more comfortable until I put 16s back on the A4. The S3 also has vastly superior grip.
Can't fault the build quality of either tbh.
Dunno how much difference there is between a V6 A4 and a 1.8T, weight and handling wise, or how much difference there is between A3 Quattro and S3...?

Yep, steering is a lot lighter on the A4, surprising with it having 2 extra cylinders. Agree with you about the A3 feeling the bigger car too.

19" TSW Catalunya, K&N panel filter, lowered on Jamex Adjustable coilovers, Audi-sport.net in rear window!
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Of course, no one noticed his A4 is far from standard, so it does go round corners! I would personally keep the A4, unless you really want a change, and no doubt a remapped A3 1.8T would be a bit quicker than your A4 in the straights, but you would also need to uprate the suspension to help it corner fast too.

£40 cheaper to insure another car is peanuts really, I think it won't be cost effective to change cars in the first place, and you will be spending some money on the A3 no doubt, so the choice is upto you really.

Last edited:
I have an A4 2.6 SE. What I said is completely true as I drive both cars every week so I think I'm in a good position to compare! I never commented on comfort, yes it is quite comfortable until you show it a corner. To your last point, the A4 is 18 months older than the A3 and has had fer more things go wrong, bits of trim come off etc. I'm not saying this is representative of all A4s but you can only speak as you find and in owning both that's what I'm doing.

I also have both here so find myself in a good position to compare. I had until laately an A4 2wd with 250BHP and now own a TQS, the GF owns a 1.8T Quattro Sport A3.I drive anyone of them on a day to day basis.

Both of my A4's will corner as well as the A3, and seem to be better screwed together.I am not going to turn this into a pi!sing contest, i just feel you are not being represtive of the differences, just because the A4 you have is some kind of friday afternoon car.

If the OP really wants an A3, make sure at least it's a facelift car, for looks and trinkets. Also if you get a TQS you will have the added toy of 4wd when you lose grip and the IRS setup due to the rear drive setup. The A3 will however weigh in at much the same as his V6 A4 so may not feel as fast out of the box

Thanks for the comments!

Yes, it does handle quite nicely! =D To be honest, I kind of prefer the look of the A4, but was thinking the A3 would be noticably smaller to drive, but by the sounds of it, its not. lol.

I like the thought of the turbo tunability! could mess with the V6 a little, but as is well known, a lot of money is needed for any power increase to make it worth while.

jojo, very true, never thought about the fact I would have to mess with the A3 too. I have a good while to think about things and weigh up the pro's and con's.

Thanks again!