S3: 8L v 8P

ianysm

Reaction score
Had a little experiment with an 8P last night.

Dual carriageway, 6th gear...

Identical!

Didn't last too long as there was traffic but nice to see.

One of these days i'll meet a stage 1 8P, then get humbled!!

Whats the weight of the 8P compared to the 8L I wonder?

I could be totally wrong, but I get the impression that as the 8P S3 is still relatively new, most owners leave it as standard (Ive seen a fair few women driving them). Whereas alot more 8L S3s are fettled. So, on the road, most remapped 8Ls should have a chance.

I've not driven an 8P so can't really pass comment, but in general, you are comparing 2 generations of car on the performance front. Maybe the 8L S3 vs 8P A3 2.0T Quattro(do they do one of these?) is more of a fair comparison.

You can't beat the flared bodywork of the 8L model, instantly differentiates it from a normal A3, which is why it's still quite a desireable car. With the 8P, they kinda kept the styling discreet, but spent the monies on the chassis, which is why it handles pretty good out the box!

i drove a DSG 8P the other night seemed quick, smooth & pickup was fast (no lag). Unsure of the handling cause of the DSG box but it felt firm with alot less roll ! Think a mapped 8L wouldnt be to far behind.

done a previous thread on this mate, found exactly the same with a tail in a brand new white one....tried to overtake to show off and i sat on his bumper till i decided to back off (silly speeds)

Yeh, seems they are the same as a stage 1 8L, which figures really. I drove an 8P S3 a few months back. Liked it alot. Seemed smoother than my remapped 8L and perhaps slightly more potent at higher revs, but not much faster. I would love one with a remap, but they're still expensive and while i like the look of them, i wish they'd flared the arches abit.

Mine needs an FMIC i think for more reliable grunt but they too are rather expensive, no money to throw at the car right now!

Instead, i'll look for some more comparisons! Just caught an enthusiastically driven R32 up tonight, but he seemed to be scared, slowed to the limit then suddenly turned into a layby. Boring!!!

haha keep em comin Ian...... yup i looked into the 8P recently, your still looking at 19k plus for the cheapest low spec from what i saw......

haha keep em comin Ian...... yup i looked into the 8P recently, your still looking at 19k plus for the cheapest low spec from what i saw......

Exactly, would be lovely to own one but I can't see how you could justify an extra £12k+ on top of your own car for one, definately going to wait till they drop...

Regards to the original post, be nice to see both remapped side by side and see difference...

You can't beat the flared bodywork of the 8L model, instantly differentiates it from a normal A3, which is why it's still quite a desireable car. With the 8P, they kinda kept the styling discreet, but spent the monies on the chassis, which is why it handles pretty good out the box!

Discreet, thats a tame word for it, lol

Can I say boring? I much prefer the 8L, looks-wise. Whenever I see an 8L S3 I always give it a second look, the 8P...not really. I can't help but have in my mind that it's only a faster version of my tractor and nowt special :ermm:

yup, in my mind something else has to be coming from the 8P as the S3 isn't too different from an Sline (so another reason to wait)....buying an 8P now, i'd have to have the upgraded seats and the 'daylight' model to make myself happy otherwise id just be wasting money

yup, in my mind something else has to be coming from the 8P as the S3 isn't too different from an Sline (so another reason to wait)....buying an 8P now, i'd have to have the upgraded seats and the 'daylight' model to make myself happy otherwise id just be wasting money

It's true, my folks have an A3 2.0T with the sline pack, its nearly identical to the S3.

I agree. They are discreet but I always have to do a double take on an 8P because the S3 just looks like the A3. The 8L S3 is also discreet but in an individual way.

Westle me old china, lol, if you mean discreet against another 8L A3 then you need laser surgery mate, S3 8L was so easily distinguishable from anyother 8L where as 8P A3 & S3 could almost, even more now with facelift, be indistiguishable overall if wasnt for the badge, get a tdi with bixenons & its almost the same.

yup, 8L is more apparent than the 8L A3 but still remains subtle, 8P is the same car with new bumpers

I dont think the 8L S3 is that in your face compared to the 8L A3. To us it is easy to spot because we are S3 fans but to the untrained eye the 8L S3 isn't much different to an 8L A3.

I find that a lot of the old audi had the same shape front end so if I see an A4 coming down the road towards me it sometimes looks like and A3 from the front.

I dont think the 8L S3 is that in your face compared to the 8L A3. To us it is easy to spot because we are S3 fans but to the untrained eye the 8L S3 isn't much different to an 8L A3.

I find that a lot of the old audi had the same shape front end so if I see an A4 coming down the road towards me it sometimes looks like and A3 from the front.

That's just your old age, everybody's eye's start to deteriate :)

lmfao, westle you cant convince us mate, ur getting old as am I, lol

you can always tell how old someone is when they suddenly swap their S3 mirrors for 'chrome' ones...... :)

8P S3's look good froom the front. Shame they haven't got wider arches though!

noooooo you cant... these mirrors 'make' the S3 :) ....the alloy ones though not the chrome ones haha

^^ lol ye maybe. To me they really set the car off and is a must for any S3.

Whats this talk of chrome? I thought we had aluminium mirrors lol. :p

Ah there it is...He has fake ones and wants to get rid of them before someone sees!!!

Here's a thought:
Polished alloy mirrors are for well-to-do Chavs.
Cheap-*** chrome plastic fakes are for skint Chavs.
The only acceptable solution is to have colour coded original mirrors...or brushed alloy in an RS6 stylee.

Here endeth the lesson. Be told.

na i normally respect your comments Glen but in this case you talk utter tripe....who in their right mind would have their mirrors coloured 'brushed ' alloy effect :)