Disappointing A/C !!

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello again Fellas,
Try to keep this brief. I have the digital climate control fitted to my 98 quattro. When I turn it on regardless of settings/direction, it blows for approx 20 secs then makes a weird noise (sound familiar...lol) and dies....(sounding even more familiar???!!!llol). It only comes back on again if I reset it first and then wait at least 5 mins (used to sound familiar,but not since I got married......), then the same thing happens!!!! Any ideas gents???!!!
Many Thanks.

It starts clicking then makes a low pitch humming noise. Thats the only way I can dedcribe it! Any Ideas??

listen arround the glove box area for the noise when you turn it on, cause thats where the blower motor is.

Does it do the same regardless of settings i.e. even on "high" there's no blower?
The blower is a common fault as the brushes wear out, you can either buy new brushes or a whole new blower unit. It's a cheap & easy DIY fix as well, just remove the glovebox and the back of the blower is right behind it.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-VW-PA...s_SM?hash=item45eda9f4e6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

However, when the blower goes it is usually intermittant to start with so it might be something else. You can easily check by removing it and spraying the brushes with WD40 then either refit or apply 12v to it and see if it kicks in. Also extending the springs on the brushes will get it working for a while.

Last edited:
Thanks mate! Will see to it next week on my week off. Will let you know how it goes!

Removed the glovebox and pulled out the blower unit today. Plugged it back in after removing it, and turned the heater on. Nothing. Untill I gave the fins a slight nudge/spin with my finger, then comes on no probs. Did this a few times and same result. Checked all connections and they all seem fine. Does this mean my blower motor is shot?? Or can anyone think of anything else it could be?

sounds like the brushes as AndyMac says as not making or poor contact to the motor until you move it

Brushes?? What do they look like?? Not familiar with the unit! Is their a fix short of getting a blower unit?

probably something like this, not sure havent opened up the Audi motor before

e20-motor-brushes-left-old-right-new-2.jpg

Ras, your a diamond! Thanks for taking the timeout to post those. Will take a look tomoz. Are they built into the blower unit or are they external to it? Was thinking about going to the scrappy and getting a blower unit complete.

will be built in mate! it may not look anything like these pics above but hopefully you will get the idea, might be worth getting another from a scrappy however dont forget if from same age car it may pack up sooner rather than later. id be tempted to open up the motor and take the brushes to an alternator specailist who refurbs them to see if they can sell you the brushes.

Got a replacement one for $25 down the scrappers. Off a 50k car. Back in action. Happy days! Thanks again fellas.

cool keep the old one you never know