Bit of a problem- help please!

a3emma

Reaction score
Right, firstly my car is a 1.9tdi a3 . i have a problem with the car not liking to start when warm, so i done some research, and found out that it could possibly be the coolant temp sensor, i bought a green one,which turned out to be the wrong one, but while in the engine bay my dad forgot to plug the electrical plug back on to the sensor,i went out in the car and my engine started first time no bother when hot (it usual takes about 5-6 seconds to fire up when the key is turned) but i noticed my temp guage on the dash wasn't working, so i had a look in the engine bay and put the plug back on the sensor and it was back to its old ways at starting again. i bought the correct sensor and changed it last night, but its only slightly helped the situation. could it be any thing to do with the electrical plug that goes on the sensor thats faulty? or something else?
im baffled now!! :think:
ta!

Maybe it could be the maf, when the cars turned off, unplug the maf and then try starting it, see if that makes any difference. If it starts better then it could be your maf whats gone or a bit dirty

thanks. we did clean the maf out not so long ago and it never made a difference, but il try unpluging it and see what the crack is then.

Let us know how you get on, I have the same issue.

wel, i took the car for a spin today to get the engine warmed up, stoped the car, unplugged the maf, started it and it still starts like a bad of poop. so thats not the problem. does anybody know if it could be anything to do with the glow plugs? they haven't been changed since i got the car, and ive had it for 2 year. also could it be the thermostat? , as my temp guage sits (when driving about) at roughly 70 degrees, and goes up to 90 when sitting in traffic? any help would be muchly appreciated! thank you

off topic mate, what tdi have you got, 90 100 or the 130bhp. how do they drive rather than petrols, say 1.4's etc, a mate of mine wanting a new car a 1.4 seat, but noticed that a 130bhp tdi is only 200 quid dearer to insure, have you got yours remmaped ?

mine is the 110bhp, very nice to drive- nicer that petrols, although i have never owned a petrol, a few i have driven, i prefer my car by far ! :thumbsup:

ahh ok cheers and yer probally nicer to drive, on the motorway etc.

Have you cleaned your throttle body? Trying to think what else it could be, don't think it'll be glow plugs as your struggling more when its warm

we cleaned the egr vavle not so long ago (i dont no if that the same as the throttle body, im a girl :unsure:!) what confuses me , is that when the coolant temp sensors eletrical plug that connects on to the sesnor, isn't connected it starts perfectly, but the tempguage dont work. also when the connecter is connected to the sensor, my climate control computer thing, on channel 49 reads about 69-70 degrees, but when it is unpluggd from the sensor it was reading 30 degrees, dont no if this is any help to anyone to help me solve this annoying problem!!
thank you