Rear Wiper wont work after fitting cruise

amanz

Reaction score
Hello
can anyone shed some light on this one??

Have just fitted cruise to my B6 avant .... managed to get steering wheel ecu from a saloon car with the correct part number and the front wipers work fine but the rear one no sign of life...i of course did fit the original avant wiper stalk and not the saloon one?
the dash is lit up like a xmas tree with ESP and ABS light on and brake warning light on but will visit local independent tomorrow to get the cruise programmed in and steering angle etc sorted so hope will sort this out.

my ideas are

1. is it the new control module that needs programming for rear wiper??
2 or more disappointingly is it a different module for an avant

The part number of the steering control module i have put on is

8E0 953 549 N

WHAT came off was 8E0 953 549 F

THANKS IN ADVANCE

amerm:wacko:

You should just change the coding to tell it it is an Avant. Can't remember the code but do a search or have a look on the VagCom wiki.
I believe the modules are the same for avant and saloon.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the information ......spent a sleepless night thinking i knackered the rear wipers or had dodgy Steering ECU

cheers

amanz:icon_thumright:

As "no_idea" states - Coding is your problem, you've inherited the settings from the donar vehicle/part.
Link to the Ross-Tech Steering Wheel Coding info page is here

ESP & ABS maybe lit up as system needs to calibrate steering angle. This is normally the ESP light by itself and will go off after a quick drive.

Always a good idea to get the original coding and DTC list, if any, before replacing any module!

Thanks Woorlord

i think i will invest in VAg com and rig her up! What is DTS??
Took the car to local independent who has coded the the new module in and got the rear wipers working and reset all the ESP and ABS but the damn cruise will not work despite being recognised by Vag com and stating the cruise module is functional!!!!!! even the buttons on the cruise stalk were detected when they were pressed

so at a bit of loss
only thing i can think is the donor steering ecu is not quite right although vag diagnostics suggests its ok???

might have to fork out for new module ouch

any ideas???

amanz:uhm:

What is DTS??
Took the car to local independent who has coded the the new module in and got the rear wipers working and reset all the ESP and ABS but the damn cruise will not work despite being recognised by Vag com and stating the cruise module is functional!!!!!! even the buttons on the cruise stalk were detected when they were pressed

so at a bit of loss
only thing i can think is the donor steering ecu is not quite right although vag diagnostics suggests its ok???

might have to fork out for new module ouch

any ideas???

amanz:uhm:

DTS is the sound encoding system sometimes found on DVD's :jester:- I think you meant to type DTC - these are the Diagnostic fault codes.

Was the Engine ECU also set for Cruise Control? Can't fid the Ross-Tech link at this time? Had this problem when Audi replaced my ECU - no green light for cruise after I got it back.

Are the brake & clutch pedal switches working OK - these will show up as faults with a VAG-COM scan. If these are defective Cruise control will not be allowed to be engaged.

What is you car engine and spec. out of curiosity?

As Woorlord states the clutch pedal switch is probably most favourite. Get yourself VagCom it will save you money in the long run and do a scan.