Turbo Part No.

Scottynic

Reaction score
Need a little help. My turbo has just about packed in. Dont know an awfull lot about turbos either.

I take it my car is fitted with a K03??

its a 2000 pre facelift S3. Does anyone know the part no.

cheers

S3 has a K04... turbo from an Audi dealer would be around £700+ vat + fitting...

If you are thinking of modding in the future, why not get a hybrid turbo... £495+vat + fitting from CR Turbos or Badger 5

</tuffty/>

You need to know if your car has an EGT sensor in the exhaust housing ( nearly made that mistake myself) With hybrids... you get what you pay for so the choise is yours,
Also dont forget to budget for a remap and maybe a few other tweaks. You will love it .

Not really too bothered about modifying my S3 just a daily runner tbh. Just looking to either get a new std turbo or a rebuilt one.

Got my elise for messing around at the weekend (if its ever dry)

Well i would go for a recon unit then either from somewhere like Euro car parts or Directly from turbo dynamics or CR turbos.
What exactly has gone on your unit?
There is a charge if your old unit isnt in a condition they can work with.
Alot of k04 turbos have the nasty habit of cracking in the exhaust housing meaning they will say its un useable.
Bare this in mind and dont asume you will get the deposit / sur charge back.

not 100% sure yet. Its smoking quite badly between gear changes, especially between 3rd and 4th. Also getting oil smell on idle.

cheers

They are KKK copies, not genuine/OEM turbos. Doesn't look like it has an EGT fitting on the picture and the S3 K04 doesn't have the actuator connected to the comp housing. They look like A4 fitment from the pic unless they are using a generic pic of course.

Here are some pics of a proper S3 K03...

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/tufftybloke/Random/turbo/

I would seriously give CR Turbos a ring about a refurb or getting your unit looked at as I am sure they are only about £300 to have done. http://www.crturbos.co.uk/

<tuffty/>

The cheap turbos tend to not last very long, i have read of some horiffic failiures,and none about how good they were. Some have even failed just after fitting. I would rather get a used OE one or get my old one refurbed

You need to know if your car has an EGT sensor in the exhaust housing ( nearly made that mistake myself) With hybrids... you get what you pay for so the choise is yours,
Also dont forget to budget for a remap and maybe a few other tweaks. You will love it .

Pre face lift model wont have an EGT sensor, K04-021 pre facelift (no EGT sensor) K04-022 Fitted to bam engines Has a EGT sensor. It will still work on a preface lift car just blank the hole for the sensor, you will need a 12x1mm pitch screw and sealing washer. I did this on a bam engine which I fitted to a Golf Rallye, Worked fine. Also beware of immitation turbos from china (You will know They are the cheap ones) Best get a good second hand unit or if your budget allows you a new genuine item, they are pricey but you get warranty with it.... Is there any reason you cant get your own turbo overhauled?

I may just try and get old one over hauled but expecting the usual oh this is cracked or thats gone from who ever I choose to rebuild it.

I could crack test it in the workshop here before I send it i suppose.