2.8 quattro gearbox mounts

twostrokepower

Reaction score
Hi

anyone had to replace ....or any advice on how to replace gearbox mounts on a 2.8 Q 5 speed as looking like they are shot been quoted £375 labour + parts from truro audi
was thinking maybe i could do it my self on ramps they claim exhaust has to be taken off.... i looked and thought it would be quite simple job

thanks for any info

regards

simon

£375 even for engine mount labour is excessive.

I'd be looking at £150 max, they're easy to replace yourself, and no, exhaust doesn't need to be removed to do so.

You'll need to jack up the tail of the transmission after removing the central 16mm bolt.

All you have to do then is remove the 13mm bolts (2 per side) and fit your new ones.

yer i did it with the car on axle stands and just jacked up the rear of the tranny. Really did take only about 10 mins per side.

thanks too both you guys i thought as much i have ordered parts and will have a go next weekend

if i was closer to you seina id have you do all the work on my car i do feel like all audi dealers are out to ripp you off!

unfortunately i live in cornwall and no other vag type mechanics around not that i would trust anyway if anyone does know of a good audi mechinic in the southwest please let me know

regards

simon

Hi guys,

Apologies for the stupid question, but can you say what led to you replacing the gearbox mounts? What sort of clunks and noises were you getting?

I have a 1999 2.8Q and there's quite a clunk at the rear of the car when changing gear (under load especially). Any ideas?

gearbox and enigne mounts usually manifest in the gearstick jumping around and a kinda thud felt thru the car when lifting off the throttle.

If the noise is defo from the rear it could be the rear diff mountings?

Thanks for that - it sounds like the 'box mounts could be involved then. I changed the main rear diff mount but that made little difference. I was starting to think the diff might need reconditioning or something?

Is there anywhere in particular you'd recommend to get gearbox mounts or is the local VAG dealer the only source :(

Cheers!

our engine and box mounts were knackered, and it was most noticable when the engine was under load but not really accellerating, for example on a hill on a motorway.

If you lifted off in those circumstances there was a thud which is similar to the sensation you'd get with a heavy loose object floating around in the boot. Needed to change both the engine and box mounts to stop it though, the engine mounts were properly knackered, box werent so obviously knackered but we changed them anyway.

we got the engine mounts from ebay and the box mounts from a local motorfactor. The mounts probably arent OE quality, but undoubtedly better than the knackered mess that was on there originally.

hi
was there any droning or whining associated with any of those issues?

No whining/droning to report in my case (if you don't count the kids!).

I did have a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres (GSD3) that started whining though. It really sounded like a wheel bearing had gone, but sure enough, it was a wierd wear pattern on a couple of them that caused it. Shame, as the tyres were really good otherwise.

i'm running eagles just now, and they're wearing just fine. The previous set i had on the front wore all oval, but that was due to play in the front suspension arms causing the camber and toe to change constantly.

Might be worth checking the arms if the odd wear happened on the front.