Need help purchasing a 1.8T Sport

• Thread starter imported_delboysi
  • Start date
I

imported_delboysi

Hi,

I have been looking round for a quality and reasonably quick 'hot' hatch, I have been looking at the A3 1.8T Sport - I have been trying to find performance figures on the web but cannot find any! The car I'm looking at is a 51 reg, I understand it has 150bhp but what is the 0-60 - Also what can be done to improve performance, I can see you can chip them for 500 quid and they take it to around 200bhp... Are these chips reliable...? And would other things need upgrading like brakes to handles the extra power?

Also what should I look for when buying the car..

Any help greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance..!

Newbie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi,
I have a 1998 1.8T Sport, and I love it. It has done nearly 97,000 miles, without a fault.
Regarding 0-60, Audi say 8.1secs, Autocar tested it at 7.7 and I got 7.6 at GTi International. Top speed is 135mph. However, because of the Turbo, the torque and mid-range punch is great. So much better than the non-turbo 1.8, and only 25bhp more. Fuel consumption is nearly the same, I average around 35-38mpg.
I got mine chipped by AmD, to get 200bhp. It has been 100% reliable and makes a huge difference. I have not tested it, but I reckon it has knocked nearly a second off the 0-60. I also upgraded the brakes, putting S3 calipers, EBD bigger discs and Green Stuff Pads. These are well worth doing, as the standard brakes are not great.
Regarding buying the car, definately get Air-con, though a 51reg should have it as standard instead of a sunroof. Both are even nicer. Leather also nice but not essential, CD changer is essential. Other than that, look for the usual things, paintwork, kerbed alloys, service history etc. The engines are pretty much bomb-proof, everything is well screwed together and they are great fun to drive.
Good luck with your search!!!
Graham

Thanks Graham,

Going to have a test drive tomorrow.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Can't wait..

Thanks,

Simon

Get the Quattro if you can find one, the difference is amazing (although maybe not quite so much fun to drive, but a hell of a lot safer), brakes are far better as well, fuel consumption not so good though.