stiff glove box lid

M7R

Type Approval Engineer,
Reaction score
Website
www.dubclique.com
has anyone got a fix for a stiff glove box lid? my dads new A4 has a lid thats a ****** to open but at the mo the hinges are still ok so Id like to sort this before he brakes it as its only a matter of time!!

cheers

Karl.

Pop the side panel off on the left of the dash (you will need the passenger door open). You should see a pivoted light switch with a kind of damper. This is connected to the glove box lid with a plastic pin. When the damper gets too stiff the pin usually breaks or pops out. Pull the pin put and try the glove box lid now and see if it is free? If so then this is the problem not sure if you can re-grease it or buy a new one? Hope this helps.

mine was broken when i bought it, someone stuck a screw in it to stop it falling down.. still havent fixed it. would be interested to fix it but it looks complicated!

Silicone spray on the damper sorts it out, worth doing regularly as otherwise the hinge will snap then you're looking at £300+ for a new glovebox, or at least £80+ for a new door.

I used a smear of silicon grease for a more permanent fix. Remove the damper, pop off the switch and pull out the piston to grease.